What's Next??

tattlebaby

Reaction score
So LO is now 8 1/2 months. I've been EBF her since birth and have been making her solid foods at home. We've been giving her 1 ounce of that weeks chosen veggie, plus 20-24 ounces of breast milk a day. We have done ONLY vegetables and wondering at what point should we introduce fruits?? Should we And also..should we be giving her more than 1 ounce of solid food a day? She seems satisfied "right now", so we're not sure. Please help.

You can start to introduce solid as another meal and then another. If she's not allergic, she can have fruit, grains and meat now. Most guides say that by 1, they can eat most family meal, mashed up or as fingerfood. If your daughter is not picky, I would get her to eat with you, choosing suitably soft food of course, so you don't have to prepare separately and at the end of the day, the goal is for her to have family food.

After 6 months most foods are good. I believe only honey and whole nuts need to be avoided (although could be wrong) my lo has eaten whatever we have eaten since 6 months

My little one eats what I eat as long as the salt/sugar content is low.

I would say it's safe to increase the food variety and amount as long as her tummy is doing fine.....I found that only processed food would ever hurt LO's tummy so as long as it's natural food, feel free to let her have it and have fun. My little guy loves homemade sauce and pasta, toast with peanut butter and smooshed banana and Greek yogurt with Apple sauce best right now :) we even get him little avocado rolls for him when we go to sushi :kiss:

Just no nuts or honey.

Yea, no honey or whole milk until one yo. They advice against nuts too currently, but that might change soon.

Nuts are fine in things like smooth peanut butter, whole nuts are just considered chocking risk.

Actually they used to think that delaying the introduction of nuts can reduce the risk of allergy, or if there is a serious allergic reaction, it's easier to treat an older child, but there are new studies indicating that delay introduction doesn't reduce the risk of allergy. The guide here still say 1 yo though.

At her age, you can offer her pretty much whatever you eat, except like other said, added salt, sugar, honey or whole nuts. We did BLW and offered pretty much everything we eat (with some modifications) from 6 months. They often don't eat to satisfy hungry until about 9-10 months, so she's still just exploring now and doesn't need to eat for calories, so even if you offer her something she doesn't like, it doesn't matter if she doesn't eat it. She'll make up for it in milk later. As far as amounts, I'd offer her as much as she wants to eat. She'll know when she's done. She's probably starting to develop her pincer grip (being able to pick up things with her thumb and forefinger) now, so you could start to offer things like grapes cut in half or blueberries or peas or bananas cut in slices because she should be able to start figuring out how to pick them up soon.

I agree with others. As she'll start wanting more calories (so eating nearer a full meal amount) at around 9-10 months it'd be good to develop her self feeding skills. I did not want to have to be feeding my LO entire meals three times a day, so we did BLW, but even with traditional weaning finger food is really important to build eating skills and more 'solid' food develops facial muscles for speech.

Amounts don't matter so much at this age, just keep giving her things to try till she's bored!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->