What's normal fetal movement at 18+3?

MEPride

Reaction score
I've been feeling flutters and kicks since 13+6. For the most part I've been feeling more movement and stronger flutters. I still have days, like today, where I can barely feel any movement, to the point I'm not even 100% certain there is movement.

So what's normal? Should I call my mw?

It's totally normal at this stage not to feel movement every day. Baby is still pretty small, and if he/she switches positions (facing your back, for example), you may not be able to feel those little kicks and rolls. And it's definitely possible that baby is very busy in there, but you're distracted by other things and just don't notice. Then when you sit down to concentrate on the movements, baby is asleep or just feeling lazy. They don't really care about our schedules at this point... or ever...

Most doctors/midwives don't recommend doing kick counts until after 26 weeks because you're more likely to scare yourself/drive yourself crazy if you don't feel movement. But take a deep breath and stop freaking out. You're both fine :)

It's totally normal at this stage not to feel movement every day. Baby is still pretty small, and if he/she switches positions (facing your back, for example), you may not be able to feel those little kicks and rolls. And it's definitely possible that baby is very busy in there, but you're distracted by other things and just don't notice. Then when you sit down to concentrate on the movements, baby is asleep or just feeling lazy. They don't really care about our schedules at this point... or ever...

Most doctors/midwives don't recommend doing kick counts until after 26 weeks because you're more likely to scare yourself/drive yourself crazy if you don't feel movement. But take a deep breath and stop freaking out. You're both fine :)

Thanks. It's been a high anxiety kind of day with my mother being admitted to the hospital. Emotions are high. I've realized I get 2-3 weeks of feeling reassured after a visit with the mw but the last week is tough. I see her Friday

I'm sorry to hear about your mom, ME. It must be hard being pregnant with everything else going on that you're probably just not noticing movement, per se. Not every move the baby makes is going to be hard. I mean when you watch them on the ultrasound they are moving their arms and legs but you're not feeling everything you're seeing. I'm sure the baby is fine. Chances of loss in the second trimester are really, really low :hugs:

So sorry to hear about your mum :( I hope she's ok.

Is it your first baby? I agree that movement can be quite sporadic until much later towards the end of the second tri. I felt what I thought were rolls and the occasional jab but I certainly wasn't sure it was baby until 22ish weeks. I remember the scan lady asking me if I could feel baby moving during the 20 week scan as she was really active on screen but for the most part, I couldn't feel a thing! Even at 29 weeks, I was worried I hadn't felt baby move before my midwife appointment so she sent me for monitoring and the monitor picked up baby moving loads and I could only feel half the movements! They are still small even then.

There is never any harm speaking to your midwife or maternity assessment centre (or equivalent) but at 18 weeks, I guess all they can do is listen to the HB. And from my experience, they seem quite cautious to even do that until after the 20 week scan..! I'm sure all is absolutely fine, hopefully you'll start feeling some more prods soon!

I'm 18w5d and dont feel the baby daily. Some days i feel him/her a lot and other days i dont think i do at all. One thing that seems to get the baby moving (atleast so i can feel it) is if im up and moving around a lot.

Each of my pregnancies have been different. With some, I felt movement sporadically for several weeks. With others, I felt movement once - and then I could count on feeling movement every day after that. It's really varied, but all of my babies have been just fine and healthy. :) I always get so nervous when I have an appointment coming around.

I'm 18+4 today and I went in yesterday because I worried about the same thing. I haven't felt movement for two days and started freaking out (this is my 6th baby). Baby was fine and kicking but doctor told me I had anteriorplacenta and everything made sense when he told me that! No wonder I couldn't feel every movement since placenta is in front of my belly:thumbup: So I'm much more calm now and felt little bub this morning when I woke up :cloud9:

I haven't felt a thing yet. I have an anterior placenta and it's my first, so my OB said it could be a few more weeks for me. :(

I totally get the anxiety though. Waiting 6 weeks between U/Ses with no indicators of movement was nerve wracking for me. Lots of 'what ifs' went through my head in the past week or two. But...baby was totally wiggling up a storm during my ultrasound today.

I have been suspecting an anterior placenta myself, verily. I never feel flutters or movement in the center of my belly. It's always off to a side or even my back and to the side. I'll find out for sure on friday at my 20 week ultrasound. The excitement is growing!!!

Just an update: I had my anatomy scan today and I DO have an anterior placenta! Suspicions confirmed!!!

And we have a girl!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->