What's you school policy on term time holiday?

Gingerspice

Reaction score
My school policy is still stating they will grant leave if approved by headmaster for good reason (i.e not because its cheaper)

Is the national ruling of the £60 fine meant to be implemented by all schools or are some regions taking longer to implement it?

It may never be necessary, but due to issues with family etc, and family across several counties we may on occasion take LO out of school for leave, and equally OH job is such that leave cannot be guaranteed during school holidays so the choice may be holiday in term time as a family or no holiday at all

My sons school policy is that they won't grant holiday unless there is a good reason.
I thought that it was just going to be a straight up 'we won't authorise anything during term time' but we got a letter from the head stating that we can still apply for leave and be will consider if there is a good enough reason. He won't authorise leave 'because its cheaper'. I would imagine that if your OH was only allowed holiday on specific dates that it'd be allowed.

TBH I know so many people who are getting het-up over this whole issue but I don't think there is anything wrong with a school saying they expect their children to be in school. Yes going on holiday is life education but its that regardless of when you go. And yes it's more expensive but for us that means we to away every other year rather than every year and its no biggie.

It's not local, it's nationwide (although not sure of Scotland) and implimeneted at government level. It's £60 per parent, per period of absence I believe. There are special circumstances such as funerals, for medical purposes (resbite) and if a parent can supply evidence from their employer that they can only take annual leave during school.

It's not local, it's nationwide (although not sure of Scotland) and implimeneted at government level. It's £60 per parent, per period of absence I believe. There are special circumstances such as funerals, for medical purposes (resbite) and if a parent can supply evidence from their employer that they can only take annual leave during school.

this is why I'm confused as why the currently policy from school has set their own policy which contradicts what a lot of people are moaning about (the fines and the no allowance unless exceptional)

this is why I'm confused as why the currently policy from school has set their own policy which contradicts what a lot of people are moaning about (the fines and the no allowance unless exceptional)

I think it's because the "exceptional" now needs to be truly exceptional compared to previously. Schools will be under much greater scrutiny to explain extended absences. The rules previously were that a Governing Body could set attendance policies (most adopted the local authority's). Head teachers always had the power to grant extra absence if extenuating circumstances were demonstrated. Many schools had a rulingthat 10 days holiday would be granted. The Government have tightened it up to make it a one size fits all ruling and that no regular holidays would be allowed. Head teachers will still use their own discretion and that inevitably will lead to differences from school to school.

I think it's because the "exceptional" now needs to be truly exceptional compared to previously. Schools will be under much greater scrutiny to explain extended absences. The rules previously were that a Governing Body could set attendance policies (most adopted the local authority's). Head teachers always had the power to grant extra absence if extenuating circumstances were demonstrated. Many schools had a rulingthat 10 days holiday would be granted. The Government have tightened it up to make it a one size fits all ruling and that no regular holidays would be allowed. Head teachers will still use their own discretion and that inevitably will lead to differences from school to school.

AFAIK the final decision lies with the council/local authority so the control is out of the head teachers hands.

Mi spoke to the head in our primary school the other week about this as we had been planning to go to blackpool for a week in September (ended up not going because of jacks broken arm!). We Are scotland so I'm not sure how things vary but she said she cannot say no to me taking jack out, but equally she cannot say yes. Basically it is to be put in writing me TELLING her not asking, and it will be down as unauthorised but not action would be taken as there are no other concerns about jacks attendance or schooling.

Then said if the council said they were going to fine me over it I would have taken the fine. Lana hasn't even started school yet so it would be a long time before I got a family holiday if I waited until she had gone through school. IMO it would be more than worth the fine (s) to have that family break

I can only assume that the school hasn't bothered updating their policy but they are following the new rules set by government (that no leave can be granted as authorised if taken in term time and a fine can be issued, unless for exceptional)

I will have to query with the school what their stance actually is. If it means going on holiday in term time and taking a fine then thats better than no family time together. (OH works all over the world so isn't necessarily home much so a family holiday is often last minute arranged and may not happen for long periods of time so important to happen when it can. We haven't been on one for 2 years as a family)

If it results in the LA questioning us about it then so be it. I would be considerate with not doing critical times, such as september or summer term in key years.

I might be able to try to use feb half term as our holiday break as thats often a time that OH is around.

Gee, money grab! I fail to see the purpose of a fine. Anyhoo...I am in Canada, and regularly take my kids out for vacations. We went to Mexico for just over two weeks in April this year, and are going again next April for a couple weeks. We sometimes go other places too. Truth is, its too dang expensive to travel during other times!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->