Wheelie bin help- maggots

KayBea

Mummy to Xanthia Lily
Reaction score
We moved about a month ago & have gone from a weekly collection to a 2 week collection of both general rubbish & recycling.

we have little green bins that get collected weekly that is used for food waste.

we keep getting maggots in all 3 bins! its minging!

no idea why in our recycling bin as everything gets rinsed out before its put in - cans, glass jars etc.

our general bin, i also have no idea, it doesnt get much put in it!

and our food bin is just rank!

help meeee!!! once the bins get emptied i bleach & hose them out quickly & then each time i put something in i spray it round with fly spray! i cant afford to buy loads of fly filling stuff & maggot killing stuff just because the council are too lazy to do a weekly collection!

any ideas what to do? its not just my bins either its everyones that ive spoken to! xx

Sometimes a hose just doesn't quite get them clean, find a local company who clean out wheelie bins with a pressure washer, round my way it's £4. Get it done once a month and maybe use wheelie bin liners? Try not to use supermarket bags for any rubbish too, they always have hole in them and no matter how much you use your food bin there's always something we put in the black bins that can leak to the bottom.

:D

I was going to say as above get a professional cleaner to do them every so often.

ive had 3 quotes & they want £14-20 per bin :-0 x

REALLY oh my goodness that is not right! What they treating it with :rofl: have you asked on local FB selling page maybe?

I was going to suggest a local company as well as I know there's lots around here that do it. Apparently boiling water and Jeyes fluid (or probably any other strong disinfectant) gets rid as well.

What about letting the bleach solution set for a while in the bins to really clean them out? How long did you let it set in them before hosing it out?

https://www.bcc-wcc.co.uk/price-list.html

3 cleans £16? Could you use bleach and boiling water on food waste bin? Usually they are small! I'd even consider buying a pressure washer, 2nd hand would be cheaper or see if anyone has one to lend you to try it out first and see if it's worth buying one x

I had loads of earwigs on my bin today it creeped my right out!!! So many flies land on our general waste bin (attracted by the smell of shitty nappies no doubt) that there MUST be maggots in there but thankfully Ive never seen them!

my bin is full of maggots at the min we get it cleaned once a month but they keep coming back we have cat litter and dog poop in there as well as dirty nappies . i have poured bleach in ours tonight and spayed the fly killer all around it

Bleach and boiling water should help. We had some last month. We've got some strong flea spray for the house called indorex - I sprayed (well DH as I was terrified of the things!) loads of it in the bin, then left lid on for a few hours. They were all dead next time we opened it. Then when it was empty, DH gave it a good clean. We get it cleaned professionally once a month for £2.50 too so I'll be happy when that's happened next week!

well today i poured a kettle of boiling water around the inside of the bins followed by half a bottle of bleach & then left it for 3-4 hrs then poured another kettle load of boiling water round before hosing it - the hose has like a pressure thing on it, its quite powerful.
then i scrubbed with a broom!

will see how it goes.

ive asked for some more quotes too but the lad who lives next to us said he will do all 3 bins once a month for £8!
saves me gagging & pays towards his driving lessons i suppose. xx

I just pop some diluted bleach in the bottom. Our bins are beside out wall and people keep putting their rubbish in it - open food containers etc as there is only 1 public bin on the street! We make sure EVERYTHING is bagged up when we put it in though.

Ours are infested at the moment but that's a problem we get this time every year, with the nappies and food waste combined with the hot weather the eggs hatch, grow and pupate in less than a week - our bin erupted on Tuesday and there was maggots EVERYWHERE. I really hate them but there is nothing we can do to stop them, we have tried everything. When the bin is collected today I will leave spray and pour bleach etc and then leave the lid off for it to dry as it ends up so damp.

It's about the only thing that's good about winter.....no smelly bins!

maggots dont like sunlight or soda powder. i used to have loads maggots in a bin and that got rid of them.
Also maggots like meat. Try to throw away leftovers packed in a separate bag in the bin.

I'd pay the lad next door lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->