When can you switch to a back carrier?

redneckhippy

Reaction score
I'm planning to use the moby wrap at first when LO is born and then probably get an Ergo or something after. Obviously at first LO has to be in front, but it seems like in terms of baby wearing being a practical way to go about daily business while holding baby, being able to have him on my back frees up my arms much more to be able to take care of things (such as folding laundry, unloading dishwasher, etc). At what age / size can you move baby to a back carry?

When they can sit up by themselves which should be around 6 months. This is a good article on it ...

https://blog.ergobaby.com/2012/05/the-back-carry-safe-easy-practical/

Never been a fan of back carrying myself but my OH often carries our LO in this position.

It was either or when DS was 6-12 months, but 12+ months and beyond it is back carry all the way. I could not imagine carrying my 21 month old in the front, but I back carry him all the time.

I have a short torso though, DH could probably do either comfortably. He'd pretty much be in front of my face front carrying now, lol.

I started back carrying in a woven when dd was a little over three months. I didn't use out boba until she was probably 9 months because she was too low and didn't like it. I mostly use wovens but have the boba for my mother who watches her three times a week.

Personally I would from 3-4 months if baby had good head control and there was something to cradle their head if they nodded off (like a hood).

When baby has good head/neck control and can sit up unsupported. I love back carrying when doing things around the house, a lot easier and my lo will fall asleep so easy. You can back carry from birth in a woven wrap but would only recommend if you're an experienced wrap user.

I too back carried in a woven from about 3 weeks old, but only switched to ergo at around 4-5 months. Ds is now 15 months and only goes on my back x

You can technically carry a baby from newborn up on your back in a woven wrap, but it's an advanced skill. You can't do it in the Ergo or other SSCs until baby has good head control and can fit without the newborn insert (or receiving blanket if you're going that route).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->