When did you 1st take your premmie out?

Mumof42009

Mum Of 4 Preemie's
Reaction score
You would think i'd be an old hand at all this premmie buisness but cannot remember the guidelines for taking them out the 1st time, i dont want to take him out too soon but been told he needs natural light as still bit yellow looking so might help anyone got any advice or help thanks x

Poppy was in SCBU for two weeks and we took her out the following week to register her birth (a 10 minute walk into town).

i was never told anything. We gave it a few days and went out. They need it asap as they wont be getting vit D anymore, I guess

Emily came home 1 week before term and we didn't take her out for a week only because I was paranoid about germs. That was just me, I was told I could take her out as they do need the fresh air and sun on their faces.

Thats all im worried about him catching something, i might take him for little walks each day not too far and then after the hols i will start taking him with me when i do the school run thanks everyone

Thats all im worried about him catching something, i might take him for little walks each day not too far and then after the hols i will start taking him with me when i do the school run thanks everyone

That sounds like a good idea hun. I started taking Emma out for little walks when still in hospital, but that was cause we were in long term and she was about 5 months by then. When we got home, just went about everywhere, nobody said anything about it. xxx

Brooke was in for 5 weeks and came out of SCBU weighing only 3lb 7oz.

We took her out on day 2 for a walk to the park.She had on 2 vests, a sleepsuit, a cardi, a pramsuit, and swaddled in two blankets plus a hat!! It was early March though and freeeeeeeezing.

The only place they told us to avoid for a few weeks was the supermarket as that can be the worst place for harbouring germs :shock:

I did small walks too to begin with. I avoided Supermarkets for about two weeks.

we just went for little walks for weeks, we did not want her exposed to any bugs so stayed out of shops etc.

we are still very careful now as she is still only little (6 weeks corrected) but venture out a little more now

hope all goes well x

I didn't take Lakai out until flu season was over and I will not be taking him out once it starts again. But Im really worried about germs and him catching something. I think if you live in a remote area, and avoid large groups of people (like malls...shopping) you are ok. Small walks are great. You need to get out, or you will go stir crazy! Plus it's good for bubs.

They were 5 weeksearly,we went home after 3 days and exactly 1 week after their birth we went out for an hour or so..

I was never told not to take them out :shrug:

Thinking about it though, most 'germs' we catch are from door handles, surfaces, direct contact rather than airborne.

So, the risk of a baby in a pram becoming infected with something is very low. Even lower with the hood or canopy of the pram up, keep strangers from touching the baby or putting their faces in and things should be ok. I'd say the greater risk was in not taking them out for some sun and their jaundice getting worse.

You can't wrap them in cotton wool forever (much as we'd like to eh?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->