When did you introduce solids?

lil-star

Reaction score
Ds is a dreadful feeder taking only 3oz at a feed so I started him on baby rice today. He only took a few spoons if even but then took 100ml after & every feed since!! Do you think it's too soon? He feeds every 3 hours in the day & sleeps from 8-8 with a dream feed at 12

I would start out with one or two spoons per day hun, if LO is only drinking 3ozs you dont want to complicate that situation further. Milk should still be their main source of food for a year.

For preemies you should go by actual age for weaning (Bliss says 5-7 months actual age) so you still have plenty time)

In regards to the milk have you tried a larger sized teat? I know we struggled too but a different teat got her drinking better.

Thanks SB22, he took 1 tsp mixed with 10 tsp of formula and then a 70 ml bottle. He seems to be actually taking more milk with this, it's amazing!
With the teats *sigh we've spent soooo much trying to find the right teat. He hates silicone and will only take latex so at the moment we are on Nuk size 1 medium. The next one up is too fast and it's like a white water rafting session coming out of his mouth!

When weaning do I go by his corrected age or actual? Worried I'm starting a little too soon if it goes by the corrected

Nope hun, i know it sounds crazy but you go by actual no matter how prem :) I know, that sounds scary.
Find ways to incorporate the formula, like using it on porridges and things when it says mix with water, just replace water with formula :) it'll all help.

You know with your bottle teats, did you try NUK silicone ones out of interest? Poppy wouldn't take any silicone ones so we used latex nuk ones which were fine but then tried NUK silicone and she was happier still on them :)

by actual age, really? My doctor told me to start at 6 months corrected, which is 9 actual. That's now for my little guy. Just started cereal and so far it's not a success,he just sorts of makes a face and spits it all out. He does love a bit of squished banana though, goes gaga for it :haha:

It's crazy how different doctors give different advice :dohh:

It's interesting that you were told that Vermeil, as Millie's paediatrician reccommended that we wait until 6 months corrected too. I found it very confusing as it contradicted the Bliss guidelines, but we decided to wait.
Millie does have problems with lumps in her food though, but I put this down to being on the vent for over two months and the feeding tube etc, but in the back of my mind I ask myself if things would have been different if we had started sooner.

It's very difficult when there are so many opposing theories on when the best time to wean a premmie is, but I guess it's the same for full term babies too.....they keep changing the goal-posts!!

The dietician at the hospital told us 6 months actual then our HV told us 6 months corrected. However that would have made my LO 10 months actual before I even started! Anyway I have started!!! Lol

Here we go by 6months corrected age - i think I gave some banana a couple weeks early and i gave diary (yogurt) at 8months corrected instead of as recommended.

I think you also have to watch for baby's cues rather than start on a given date becasue of baby's age. If he is reaching ofr food, trying to mouth, watches you eat etc go ahead...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->