When did you let your LO feed themself?

missjess

Mummy of a prince
Reaction score
Josh has this new thing where he insist on grabbing the spoon off my hand and brings it to his mouth. I guess he's really ready to eat on his own...

BUUUUTTTT.... I'm not! I know he's gonna make a mess, a HUGE mess! I should get over myself and let him because it's part of him growing up.

So I was just wondering when did you let your LO feed themself? Was it a nightmare? :lol:

I'm wondering the same thing! Bella would LOVE to grab the spoon, but I don't want her to get dirty, I don't think I can handle the mess!!!

I'm the same.. and Colton's a month older! haha.. I push his hand out of the way when he grabs the spoon. :blush: I'm like no.. you will be messy. It's so neat and clean when I just feed him myself.
Although, Colton wont put the food in his mouth if I just set it in front of him, he just plays in it.

My bubs has started doing that in the last weeks...but i don't trust him! I know he will end up sticking the spoon down his throat!...i do let him hold it whilst i am and he also insists on holding it whilst im putting food on the spoon, but i always hold it with him at the mo incase he jabs his eye out!
I know alot of books say it is a good thing to offer them a spoon to hild whilst you are feeding them as it helps them to learn how to use a spoon without creating a huge mess xxx

I'm the same way, I would much rather my pricey baby jar food end up in his mouth and not on the floor or flung in my face.

Amy takes the spoon off me and it goes straight to her mouth - she is actually quite clean with it at the moment - but she would throw the dish on the floor if I let her, so for now I put the food on the spoon and hand it to her. She likes sucking it clean and smacking her lips before handing it back, it is so cute, lol. :)

i too have been thinking about the mess :blush: i brought a mess mat in the hope that the mess will stay 'contained' :lol: we shall see! x

You kind of have to get over it, they are going to make a mess when they first start out, no way around that. You don't want to be feeding them when they are 3 lol...and even 3yr olds make a mess still at times. I think as soon as they are interested is best, the sooner they start the sooner they will master it. My son is 15mo and he can feed himself with a fork with very little mess, he is still young and when he starts getting full he decides food is more fun to play in. But it's fun and yeah it's a mess but it's really not that big of a deal, just strip them to their diaper. I even put things like applesauce on the tray and give him a spoon and let him try.

The first day we fed Alasdair solids he tried to take the spoon himself. I give him his own spoon now and he tries to dip it in the food. He is getting really good at it! and he doesn't get enough for it to be really messy...might change as he gets older though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->