When did you start weaning your LO onto solids?

premmiemum123

Reaction score
Hi all, I would like some advice please. My HV has advised I should start weaning Emily on solids at 30 weeks when she will be about 7 months as her stomach is not as developed as a full term baby. I would like to do it earlier as she is already taking an interest in our food, watching me eating and smacking her lips, her milk volume is fast increasing and she never seems satisified after feeds...we fed her nearly every 2 hours yesterday and she had nearly 8 bottles.
I read the Bliss book on weaning and it stated that although the Government stated weaning guidelines of 6 months for term babies, this did not apply to premature babies as they are so different, especially those that did not develop in the womb for the last three months of pregnancy.
Bliss state i can start weaning between 5 and 7 months actual age (or uncorrected age).

What actual age did you start to wean your LO and how did it go?

Am going to discuss with her consultant at her 8 week checkup...

Hey Hun,

I started Archie on solids when he was 5 and a half months actual. He's now 9 months and weighs a ton and is fully weaned.

xxx

Hi bird :hi:

If I remember rightly, I weaned Brooke at around 4.5 months under the care of the peadiatricians, dieticians and HV's due to her poor weight gain.

She is now 9 months, 13lbs and waaaaaaaaaaaaay under any centile-STILL!

Weaning her made no difference whatsoever to her weight gain, neither did it to her reflux. :shrug: wish Id stuck to my guns now and said no, id do it in my own time like id wanted-but hey ho, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

However, she is now completley and fully weaned and I just chop up whatever we eat and she eats with us. :cloud9: she had homemade chicken curry, rice and naan bread on friday, and chilli con carne today! It wasnt any harder weaning her than it was any other baby Iv looked after, she was just alot, lot smaller obviously.

Good luck whatever you decide xx

We weaned Molly at 17 weeks (actual age). She has gained weight fabulously since as she was never a big milk drinker. IMO I would follow your own instincts and wean when YOU feel she is ready x

Under the advice of her ped, Anja-Josaphine is now at 12 weeks having baby rice for her reflux ( she was born at 33+3) It is definately making a big difference. :hugs:

Thank you so much for the advice ladies, I really appreciate! Some of you have weaned your babies quite early for good reasons...really interesting reading thank you!

I spoke to Emily's Paeditirician yesterday as she had her 8 week discharge checkup. She is thriving which is good however I am giving her too much milk, 6-7 bottles of 4ozs a day so need to start weaning her in the next couple of weeks...she guzzled 10 ozs in the space of 3 hours last night so is a very hungry baby for her size. She is never satisfied after a feed and was eyeing up my Nachos yesterday evening smacking her lips...also I was told this will help her reflux similar to your situation Mummy3.

All good news, I am quite looking forward to weaning Emily and of course the mess!!

x

Harry was nearly 5 months when we weaned him, he was not getting full from his bottles and we saw the paed. and she said he'd let us know when he was ready, he was ready.

We started Abby on baby rice at 4.5 months actual. She was just so darned hungry all the time and was showing a real interest in our food and eating etc.

But to be honest the baby rice didn't actually do much for her, she was still hungry! We switched to porridge and that seemed to do the trick.

Now, at 6 months actual she is taking purees and stuff.

4.5 months, wow that is good...I can't wait to start Emily on solids and am tempting to start now, she is now taking 4 ozs every two hours (still 6-7 bottles) which is ridiculous and she had 7ozs before she went to bed last night, she didn't seemed satisifed after the first bottle...
Am going to try her with Rice cereal this week...am told by her Paeditrician that this should help her reflux...did solid food reduce your baby's reflux, anyone?

x

Am going to try her with Rice cereal this week...am told by her Paeditrician that this should help her reflux...did solid food reduce your baby's reflux, anyone?

x

I think it did (or it could have been coinky-dinky :shrug:) She definitely suffered less after starting the rice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->