When did you teach your child your name / phone number other id info?

tommyg

Mum to Smurf & TTC
Reaction score
In the supermarket DS went to sit on a kiddy ride on while I was at the checkout.
I went to get him, but he'd gone. He'd been taken to Customer Services by another mum. He'd been playing with her daughter then couldn't find me (didn't think to go back to the rideon).

The mum asked him if he knew my name, which he gave my first name but didn't know my second name. When did you teach your child both your names?

What other info should he know?

My children have known my full name since 3. Tried teaching phone number with limited success from 4 so bought a bracelet with number engraved for when we're out. Now eldest is 6 she could definitely learn number so I need to revisit this and tbh my 4.5 yr old could probably learn too

He certainly giggled when he realised we all have the same second name!!!
Honestly it's just not something that I've thought about.

Oh definitely. Ours was triggered by an incident like yours where my eldest disappeared and I felt sick beyond belief so I began making sure they could contact me!

I have taught Maria my full name but she tends to forget it. She doesn't have my last name so that makes it a bit more difficult. I'm getting her a watch phone for her birthday though so hopefully won't have any issues like you had.

My LO only knows her name, my name and the village we live in.

There's no way she'd remember a phone number. but then she isn't a child that runs off by herself, she will always make sure she can see me, unless she's in a soft play centre then she knows where our table is and I check in on her every 20 minutes or so if she doesn't come back first.

My DS is in Reception, this term their theme has been "people who help us" and as part of that they've been learning their full names and addresses, as well as their parents/caregivers full name. Not phone numbers though. I recently wrote my mobile number in my LO's coats (on the labels) and told them that if they get lost they should show a grown up so they can call me. My DS would probably forget but might work for other LO's.

That is a good idea to write the number on is coat. I too doubt that he would remember a phone number tbh I don't even know DHs of the top of my head.

Starting teaching surnames and address age 4

DD knew mine and hubby's first names when she was 2, she learnt our surname when she was maybe just 3.

We moved house when she was 2 years 8 months and she learnt our street name and number very quickly - but probably because it fits very well into the 64 Zoo Lane tune so we sang it to her that way lol, she knows the area and town too.

We haven't done phone numbers yet, she's 4 years 9 months. We probably should think about that though.

Lana has known all of our names since she was 2, she used to sit and write them constantly! She doesn't know my phone number but she has enough knowledge now at 5 that if questioned she could point people in the right direction. For instance she knows my work, I am contactable through them, and she can give our address and postcode. I was really surprised when she wrote the postcode for the first time a few months ago but she is always reading the mail when it arrives and handing it out to me and dh so I guess she just picked it up from there. A wee tip though, if your child ever does get lost they will be asked for their address which they might not recognise as being 'where they live' so always teach them the word address too:)

Dec has known our names from about 18 months, he used to call me and his dad by our first names for quite a while :dohh: he picked it up from other people and just continued using them, his surname is different from mine but he has always known we have a different surname. By 2 and half he could rhyme of his name and address and our names. He used to have a little bracelet with his name and my mobile number on it. He has been able to tell people his name, address and telephone number as well as mummy and daddys name since he was about 4-5 years old :flower:

The police visited dd's nursery when she was 3. Thy asked every child if they knew their full name & address - if course dd didn't but she set about learning it immediately lol! So she's known both since age 3.

Ever since she also talks about the emergency services & knows to ring 999 in an emergency. She can talk about what is an emergency and what isn't - plus which service to ask for. She loves role playing this!!

It's considered a Pre-K skill here (reception for UK people). It was their first project/assignment this year; full name, address, phone#. So you can probably start teaching it around 3 1/2 - 4. My DD thinks it funny that we actually have first names.

My son has known my name, his name and the city we live in since just before 3. Address has been more difficult for him to remember and i haven't tried phone number yet.

My DS knows me and OH's full names, our address and my phone number. He can be a bit hit and miss as to whether he's willing to repeat it to people he doesn't know well though, so not sure how much use it is!

I literally just went through this with my two the other day. Our 6 year old had mentioned something about ambulances so it lead quite naturally to a conversation about what to do in an emergency, and we went through dialling 999 and then I asked if they knew our address and they both knew the house number and street name (and that we're in Manchester) and they knew both mine and OH's full names too :thumbup:

Seriously it just wasn't something that I'd thought about teaching him. He giggled no end when he realised we have the same second name.

The address is something we are working on being fair is not the easiest to remember.

We taught full name, address, and how to call 911 in an emergency at age 4. I've been trying to teach him at least one of our phone numbers since then, but he still hasn't been able to remember that many numbers yet. I haven't started teaching DS2 those things yet, but he's only 3 1/2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->