When did you wean?!

divadexie

Reaction score
How early was your baby and when did you start to wean?

My HV has never really dealt with prem babies before and when I mentioned it she said Anna was nowhere near ready yet.

But she also said she firmly believes in waiting until they are ready like sitting up, grabbing things etc.

So when am I supposed to start giving her baby rice?

my lo was 11 weeks early i started to wean her at 18 weeks corrected age/ just over 6 months actual your supposed to wean from their actual age any where from 5 to 7 months my lo has really good head control and was able sit in her bouncer just had to sit her on a cushion for added support.She never liked baby rice so started her off with sweet potato.if i was to wait to wean my dd until she was sitting unaided then id be still waiting at 8 months. i would go with your instinct its different with prem babies has milestones can be delayed.i would try her with a tiny bit after her milk feed see how she reacts and take it from there.

I started at 6 1/2 months actual and I fed her in her bouncer. I don't think the usual rules apply to preemies. I didn't actually tell my HV as I knew she wouldn't agree :blush:

I told them when she was 17 weeks corrected that I had just started and I was following the old guidelines.

How do I know when she is 'ready'? She is 5months actual now.

We started Sophie when she was 5 and a half months but we're only giving her the tiniest little bits - really watered down so they are still very runny. She wasn't particularly displaying any signs of being ready but we decided just to try it so we could take it really slowly because we've heard that neonatal will expect her to be on 3 meals a day but her check up in December.

She has taken to it really well so far - she's had baby rice, baby porridge, butternut squash, and the Heinz "cereals" - the banana one and the fruit and yoghurt one. At the moment she is just getting used to the different tastes and textures and we only give her a couple of tiny spoonfuls each time. I water the butternut squash down with her milk, and the packets that you make up with water, I generally water down more than they say on the instructions!

SB22 gave me a really good chart which is very helpful - if you look for my thread called I think "weaning a preemie" or something, it's in there.

xxx

I didn't know and I was reluctant to start but speaking to other preemie mums they said try her and see and make sure I do it before 7 months.

When I tried her she happily ate it. I made it runny at the beginning but I have been gradually making it thicker.

Bliss do a booklet, I'm not sure if it would help anyone?

https://www.bliss.org.uk/core/core_picker/download.asp?id=173

We started Andrew at six months actual, following the BLISS guidelines, with our HV agreement (she'd read up about it) but against our Paediatrician (who had her own ideas).

But Andrew has taken to weaning very very slowly, including over a month of stopping due to health issues, so we are now months behind - over a year old and still only on Stage 2. Occasionally it bothers me that he's not "on target" but most of the time I'm relaxed about it and feel that it's important not to make food a issue or problem - he has to enjoy the process.

One thing I would say, given that preemies are generally slightly behind actual age in terms of development (tried to phrase that pc-wise, I'm sure you all get the gist) is that BLW may not be possible due to their grip and movements not being as defined.

With the advice of consultants and my HV I weaned the girls are 4 months actual. The girls always liked their milk but never ever drank more than 4oz at one feed so their weight gain started to trail off and I asked whether it was too early and my consultant said that he didnt see why I couldnt try and if they didnt agree with it to stop but they were fine and we have never ever looked back.. They were weaned at 4 months and are now 19 months!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->