When did your baby focus on you and smile?

chelle7

Mum to a beautiful girl
Reaction score
At the moment my daughter- born 6 weeks premature, wakes to be fed (or has to be woken my me to feed as mw says to feed every 3-4 hours) then goes back to sleep. She isn't yet focussing on faces- she looks to one side, and isn't smiling yet. She sleeps and feeds and that is about it - is this usual? She is 6 weeks and 1 day old but her due date was Sunday which would make her just a few days old had she been a term baby

Sophie first smiled at 3 weeks corrected, which made her 16 weeks actual. I think she started to focus on us around the same time. Don't worry, she's only JUST past her due date and if she'd been full term I doubt if she'd be really focussing and smiling yet. I don't think they can see very clearly at first anyway, and for developmental milestones, we go by their corrected age.

Hope this helps - congratulations on your little one! xxx

Thomas didn't really do a proper smile (one which we were sure wasn't wind) until he was about 12 weeks (6 weeks corrected). I was like you and worrying why it hadn't happened yet but now he is smiling all the time. Don't worry. She is still only really a newborn and so is bound to be a bit later to do things than a term baby.

Meant to say also, Sophie slept all the time at the start as well - just waking or having to be woken for feeds. She was a few weeks past her due date when she started to be awake more - I remember my mum used to say she was never awake when she was at their house when we first had her home, and they really wanted to see her awake! I think they were forgetting that even though they'd already known her for 12 weeks when she came home, she wasn't even quite at her due date...easy to forget when you've had them around for a few weeks already!! XXX

Gaby smiled at 14 weeks actual age, 8 weeks corrected. But not very often was more like 14 weeks corrected before she smiled a lot.

12 weeks corrected here, 24 weeks actual x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->