When do I pump??

heff1604

Reaction score
Hi Ladies –

I’m due later this summer with #2 and have decided that I wanted to exclusively pump. With my first, I had a c-section, my son wouldn’t latch, they immediately gave me a shield to use which didn’t help - long story short, I gave up and ended up feeding him formula.

So, basically I was wondering when I should pump since I won’t have an established supply yet: before or after I notice signs of being hungry?

Anything helps, thanks!

D'you not fancy giving breastfeeding a go first? It'd be so much easier if you can get the hang of it, which I'm sure you will with a bit of determination! :flower: Exclusive pumping sounds like a lot of work.. I think it's obviously a good alternative to formula and I'd have done that if I hadn't been able to BF, but I can't imagine choosing to without trying? Each to their own though obviously! :) I don't know so much about exclusively pumping but there's a sticky thread about it up there :thumbup: But I highly recommend giving BF a go.. I'm SO happy I did. It's so easy now, no faffing with bottles (except for if I want to leave her with someone else) and I love actually doing it! It's nice and relaxing and you can get stuff done while you're doing it! I'm BF right now haha.. Getting my baby to sleep while I browse the Internet! Great stuff :thumbup:

I have had to EP for my son and, given the option' just breastfeeding would have been much easier. If you are committed to the idea of pumping, the answer to your question is: All. The. Time. At least 8-10 times per day every day for the first month or so to make sure your supply is established.

Later on, many people can do 3-4 times per day to maintain supply, and you can add extra sessions back if it declines.

I established my supply with pumping as lo was in nicu. I pumped 8 times a day with a hospital grade double electric pump. I pumped every 3 hours, so 3,6,9, and 12 am and pm until I could get lo to latch and bf. I agree with pp. Pumping exclusively would be a lot of work if you didn't have to do it. You have to wash all the pump equipment after each pump and sterilize it at least once per day, sterilize bottles, and bottle feed lo... Bf after the initial months would be a lot easier in my opinion long term. I'm not sure about pumping frequency long term, but I assume you would need to pump 8 times a day still as that's how often a bf baby usually eats, but you may only need to do one night pump session. I've heard night pumping is really important to keep supply up, but I don't have first hand experience of this. Good luck!

I gave birth almost 3 weeks ago via emergency C..

and my baby struggled to latch. SO for the first 2 weeks I express fed I was told to express for 20 mins (10 mins on each boob, in 5 min intervals.. so 5 mins left boob, 5 mins right boob, 5 mins left boob, 5 mins right..) every 3-4 hours to mimic a babies feeding pattern.. I was lucky with a good milk supply and could get 100ml or 3.5 oz at each expressing from around 5 days..

I am now managing to feed baby myself using a shield :)

You will hand express colostrum first until your milk comes in. Then you'll need to pump as often as possible but at least 8-10 times a day. It's v difficult with 2 children. Good luck.

If you can/want to, I would suggest trying to bf at first if only to help establish milk supply. If you are still determined to only pump then I'd use a hospital grade pump for the first few weeks to establish a good supply. As far as when to pump, all ways pump before you see the hungry cues. As you know a baby gets really frustrated while waiting to eat and pumping can take much longer than making a formula bottle. I'd try to bf for the first day just to see and establish supply. But also try to pump with the hospital pump between feedings.
Strictly bf is so much easier for me but it may not be that easy for you. Good Luck 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->