When do you plan on maternity leave?

Laurenmomma

Reaction score
Although this is my 4th baby Iv never had to take maternity leave as I was a sahm with the others so have no idea when to take leave?

Also how do I work out what holidays I can take beforehand?

I'm a quantity surveyor for a house builder so at the moment I'm both site and office based so know towards the end il be more office based.
I'm also trying to work out the childcare for my other kids for may and June and wondering what's best!

My holiday entitlement for the year is 25 days plus bank holidays but what can I take m, does it pro rata?

Hi Lauren. I'm planning to leave between 8 to 10 weeks from now. (my employer wanted to know a 'range' of dates, but that's just my employer.)

If you'll be switching to mostly in the office, you'll want to see how you feel as you move into the third trimester, but you also need to research how much notice you're required to give over there. From there, I'm not really up on the rules around maternity in the UK, so I'll let one of the UK ladies give you more info.

Are you UK based?

You are entitled to all your annual leave for the year in the UK. It doesn't pro-rata. Same when you go back, you are entitled to a full years annual leave even if you miss half the year on Mat Leave. You should be paid the bank holiday days while you are off.

So it just depends when your annual leave year re-sets. Mine runs Jan -Dec, so I literally have my full 29 days plus bank holidays to take before my mat leave starts! When I go back the following May, I'll have 29 days to use between May-Dec!

My work have me the option to take it as leave or have it paid. If for any reason baby arrives early, I'll be able to carry it over for when I return in 2018. I decided to use mine up, so I'm taking all of April and the first week of May as annual leave. My mat leave will start on 8th May. My due date is 11th May. This means I'll be going off at 34 weeks pregnant.

Your work should have a comprehensive maternity policy for you to read. I gave my works a few read throughs to get my head around it all! If not, there is a wealth of UK maternity law info on the internet! The government website is a good place to start! :)

Basically wss^^

You can carry over your annual leave until after maternity, providing you are returning within the same annual leave window. I won't be as mine runs Jan-Dec so I'm going to take all my remaining annual leave from 1st May for 4 weeks and then start mat leave on 28th(?) May. Due date is 8th June but I'll have been off work since 34 weeks.

It depends on your situation when you decide to finish work. I would prefer to work even later but I have to commute across London and I am realistic about how hard this is going to be (heck, it's hard already!), plus I am more tired second time round so I can't wait to finish up. God knows how you must be feeling on number 4! :)

I plan on working right until I have to call in one morning telling them I won't be in for the rest of the year cuz I'm in active labour. lol

I'm only on no.1 and knackered ha! I dong envy you commuting through London Shiny! I work in a little village in Yorkshire and drive but the carpark is at the bottom of a rediculous hill. It was tough enough not pregnant (keeps everyone in the office fit!) but now I pretty much need pushing up!

I'd be working much closer to my due date if I didn't have my holiday to use. I'm feeling lucky I have it!

I plan on working till the very end. :wacko: This is my third and I'm already exhausted, so not sure If I will even make it through the third tri. I work in retail, so being on my feet all day doesnt help.

Thanks ladies! I'm feeling ok at the moment although was on site yesterday inspecting someone's garden and had a wave of light head and felt sick had to sit on the floor next to their house!

I lost my last baby at 21 weeks so I wasn't planning on leaving early as Iv been weary but then the pressure for my job is immense!

I guess il have to wait and see how I start feeling over the next month or so x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->