When is the right age to give your child a mobile phone?

bethanchloe

Reaction score
Hello,

I was just wondering what you guy's think? What age do you think it's right to give your child a mobile or when did you give your child a mobile phone?

Why?

Thanks x

I think it depends on the kid. If they spend a good amount of time away from you for example doing extracurricular activities like sports then I could see it making sense to give them one earlier, but even then only for emergency use. But honestly the way I look at things like cell phones is that they are a privilege not a requirement. When my daughter hits high school I may get her a phone with a small amount of minutes/texts but nothing fancy. If she wants more than that she'll have to get a job to pay for it herself.

I don't see the need for a kid to have a cell phone until they are driving. If they are at a younger age (Lets say tween/early teens) and they are going out with friends, I'd much rather them borrow mine then be paying every month for something I really don't want them using. Too many dangers with kids being able to text. With bullying, sexting, you name it, just irks me.

If anything, I *might* consider one of those phones where they can only call mom, dad, and 911.

And I also agree that any cell phone they get would be very basic. If they want more, then can pay for it! Its what I had to do. My mom gave me some minutes and that was it (granted this was before texting). But once I started using too many of the family minutes, she made me pay for it myself.

I think when they can afford it themselves then they can have one.

We're buying my step-daughter a phone for her 10th birthday, but in our defense we live in a different state so it's mainly for contact with her.

I voted 13 and over. The only exception would be if we got one of the phones that ONLY calls the numbers you program, like us, 911, grandma or something like that. And doesn't accept calls except from those numbers too. To just be used for emergency purposes.

I see what you mean, I think I got mine when I was 11-12 because I was starting high school and was going to be travelling on my own.

I gave my son one at 10 years old. I felt since he was walking to school by himself, and going out with his friends, that was the right age.

I will let my daughters have one when they are 11 and due to start secondary school. x

11-12 for just those phones that you can call 911, mom and dad with. 13+ for a regular phone. :flow:

we got my step-daughter one when she was 8 :blush: but its so that her parents can txt or ring without feeling awkward disturbing one another.

To be honest, she hardly ever uses it because shes quite sensible and both of her parents make sure theres nothing dodgy on the phone.

But in the future, with our children I'd say about 13-14 years old is a good age

I've always said they can have a proper one when theyre 11. My 10 year old son has a phone but only for numbers such as mine, his dads, and siblings.

I think it depends on the kid... we gave our kid one at age 10... BUT, that was ONLY because she spent weekends with her mom (and we couldn't always trust her mom to allow her get a hold of us whenever she wanted). She started visitation again, and we wanted her to have that "safety net" so she always knew we were just a phone call away... otherwise, I would have waited till she was prob 12-13??? Some kids are super responsible and won't go overboard talking or texting... so maybe earlier for them? But our kid is super social... and we have to limit her talk/text time with parental controls. lol. It does work nicely when I ask for her phone any time she doesn't listen though... she listens very closely then! haha.

I was going to give my daughter one when she was 10 but her uncle bought her one for xmas last year so she was 6. She doesn't us it all the time, but she does take it with her when she goes to friends houses so that i can ring her to tell her when its time to come home and she takes it to my mum and dads if she is sleeping over so she can ring me when ever she wants, mainly when she is missing me. It has my mobile number in it, her dads, Grandma and Grandads, and 2 of her Uncles number in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->