When to get it on with BD

StarSign

Pregnant- 3rd tri!!
Reaction score
So, what's the general consensus here?
  1. Doing BD when you start seeing (+) OPK's or
  2. Do BD when you have (+) OPK's AND temp drop?

I understand that fertilization can happen as early as 45minutes after BD or as late as 3 days (if swimmers stay dormant in CM). But, what do folks here think are the best chances (besides doing SMEP)?

Thanks!!
*SS*

I start to bd well before i get a positive opk, my RE always said bd atleast everyother day leading up to your O day and that the few days before are your most fertile days.

Hope you don't mind me gate crashing, but I BD from well before I get the positive OPK. This cycle we BD'd everyday from CD9, and I think I ovulated CD14. I work on the basis that the more spermies we can get up there the better tha chances :haha:

I start before, as well....FF recommends doing it every other day until your first positive opk...and then every day, includung ovulation day....once u see your temp rise....it's too late....

As soon as he gets home from work! But seriously, waiting til the + opk sounds a bit late for me, we try and cover the few days before O - I don't get a temperature dip before O that's as much of a myth as the fabled "implantation dip" IMO.

My goal is to get the last day of ewcm, while not bding closer than 36-48 hours. It's a balancing act. And this month, I'm temping, so I'll be sure to include the day of temp rise, regardless of how long it's been. And, while I'm thinking of it, I'll include any clear temp dip (which will probably be tomorrow am).

We bd all the time, but it's planned around ov time. Our only scheduled bd this cycle is cd15 pm and cd 17am. (Did I just type "our"? Maybe I should say "my". I'm sure that DH is clueless about the plan). If I don't ov by cd17, then I'll go again am of cd19. . . or maybe pm of cd18. Well, I guess you could say that I have a flexible plan.

I don't do opks at all.

As soon as he gets home from work! But seriously, waiting til the + opk sounds a bit late for me, we try and cover the few days before O - I don't get a temperature dip before O that's as much of a myth as the fabled "implantation dip" IMO.

I've had an O dip the past 2 months.:thumbup:

I don't recall ever seeing one while charting for my first child 9 years ago though.

Ladies- thanks so very much. You guys definitely confirm most of what I'm thinking. Now I also have some good ideas to add "insurance"..heh, heh. Here's to :bfp: for us all soon!

*SS*

It really depends on the woman! I BBT so I know I usually ovulate 1-2 days AFTER a long LH surge (I have 2 nights of positive OPKs). So if I start on the day of the first + OPK and :sex: for 4 consecutive nights, I know I will have covered 2 days before O and the day of O which are the "big" hitters for TTC'ing! This is how we successfully conceived our daughter Sept 2009. This time around we're not "officially" TTC'ing until August, so we just BD'ed the 2 nights of my + OPK. If I don't have a :bfp: this month, back to our trick which worked so well the first time around! Best of luck :hugs:

It really depends on the woman! I BBT so I know I usually ovulate 1-2 days AFTER a long LH surge (I have 2 nights of positive OPKs). So if I start on the day of the first + OPK and :sex: for 4 consecutive nights, I know I will have covered 2 days before O and the day of O which are the "big" hitters for TTC'ing! This is how we successfully conceived our daughter Sept 2009. This time around we're not "officially" TTC'ing until August, so we just BD'ed the 2 nights of my + OPK. If I don't have a :bfp: this month, back to our trick which worked so well the first time around! Best of luck :hugs:

I think your approach removes the guessing. Since it takes 24hrs for the swimmer supply to recuperate, you're good for every day WITH insurance. My LH surge is long also (first time around using OPK's and all). I presume you typically just see one temperature drop? I had two...along with ovary pains (which I never really noticed before, but I'm supplementing with FertilAid until the pills run out). Fraternal twins make sense to me now....

Actually, ovulating more than 1 egg is typically not associated with 2 drops, just one as normal, as most of the times the egss are released very close together. There is a blurb on this on Fertility Friend :hugs:

We did not use OPKs when we conceived our daughter. I was nursing until June so started using OPKs in January (hadn't had a period since August 2009!) to help pinpoint O. Now I'm addicted! I'm glad I did this too, otherwise I would not have known about my long LH surge and we may not have BD'ed enough to get to O!

Actually, ovulating more than 1 egg is typically not associated with 2 drops, just one as normal, as most of the times the egss are released very close together. There is a blurb on this on Fertility Friend :hugs:

So, I took a peak at FF.:flower: They just wrote pretty much what you had. However, we all know there's no absolutes:winkwink: I had distinct pains on both days of the temperature drops. So, I'm just going conclude eggs can release very, very close together or as far as 1 days apart. My LH never dropped and was very strong across that whole time.

I'm also starting to think based on papers and all on Dr. Google, that women who have a very high HCG but ultrasound shows only a singleton- may have indeed have started out with 2 fertilized eggs, but the other one aborted during that first 8 weeks and either absorbed into the body or bleed out via spotting or something.

*SS*

We normally BD the first day of positive OPK which has led to many BFN for me,
this month we BD the day after my first + OPK and it was darker the next day and I had lots of EWCM hopefully it worked.

So, I took a peak at FF.:flower: They just wrote pretty much what you had. However, we all know there's no absolutes:winkwink: I had distinct pains on both days of the temperature drops. So, I'm just going conclude eggs can release very, very close together or as far as 1 days apart. My LH never dropped and was very strong across that whole time.

I'm also starting to think based on papers and all on Dr. Google, that women who have a very high HCG but ultrasound shows only a singleton- may have indeed have started out with 2 fertilized eggs, but the other one aborted during that first 8 weeks and either absorbed into the body or bleed out via spotting or something.

*SS*

Dr. Google is a bad thing, as we "real" MDs know :haha:
Not sure I agree with the high HCG comment you made based on Dr. Google: my levels were much higher than normal up until week 14.

OH and I forgot to add, based on my work with fertility patients, the pain one feels during ovulation is not usually reliable: a lot of the times the unilateral pain (right or left) ironically does not correlate with the ovary that is releasing the egg based on the ultrasound findings. Just for fun I tested this on myself and sure enough, no matter which side I felt pain on during O, it was the opposite ovary that was releasing the egg :haha: Just based on stats if I would have tried it more than 3 times I'm sure evenutally one time the pain would have matched up with the right ovary :rofl:

OH and I forgot to add, based on my work with fertility patients, the pain one feels during ovulation is not usually reliable: a lot of the times the unilateral pain (right or left) ironically does not correlate with the ovary that is releasing the egg based on the ultrasound findings. Just for fun I tested this on myself and sure enough, no matter which side I felt pain on during O, it was the opposite ovary that was releasing the egg :haha: Just based on stats if I would have tried it more than 3 times I'm sure evenutally one time the pain would have matched up with the right ovary :rofl:

Interesting. Say, do you have a portable ultrasound where I can check it out too?:haha: Because then I could stop theorizing and really start analyzing. Dr. Google will make one googley-eyed. So I've stopped for today..even though the wheels are still turning.

I snuck into the hospital's ultrasound rooms early in the morning before rounds, no portable machine unfortunately!

Symptom spotting will make you crazy! Divorce Dr. Google NOW before it's too late :haha: In all honesty, one can theorize and hypothesize throught the wazoo and they're no further ahead in the end :hugs: Looks like you know your body and when you ovulate, it's OK to get help from OPKs, BBT is amazing to help you pinpoint O but that's where our ability to control things end. You'll get there! :dust:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->