When to go to hospital?

Drazic<3

You got the love <3
Reaction score
Hey girls,

On another thread, there has been some talk of when to go to hospital?(obviously, this applies to those hoping for a planned hospital natural/hypno birth rather than those hoping to be at home)

Originally, I had planned to stay at home as long as possible, but it does make sense to go in before things get too underway for the sake of comfort, and remaining in the hypno state.

Just wondering if anyone had their own views on this? Or experiences?

I think they tell you to stay at home for the first hour or two. Once the contractions are a few minutes apart though I wont be sticking around! I want the midwife to be able to advise me xx

I've heard to wait until contractions are 5 minutes apart. I hope you get the birth you want!

Five minutes apart is too late IMO. I progressed really quickly after that and the car journey to the hospital was pure hell.

That's what I was thinking. What about traffic jams for goodness sake? But that's what "they" say.....then again....who ever listens to "they" anyway? :lol: I mean, you never know.

You know your body best. Just listen to it and you'll be golden.

My birth center is 10 mins walk from my house and as I want an active labour Im planning to walk there! If I had to get there by car though I wouldnt wait as long xxx

I live 25 mins away and i stayed until they my waters broke and they were getting painful and i was 4 cms and she was born in 2 hrs :D I'd do it again the same way, wait until they were getting quite painful... It wasnt until i got to hospital that they started to get to me.

I just stayed at home til I felt I couldnt manage the pain anymore. I was contracting 3 mins apart but when they checked me at hosp I wasnt dilating or effacing. It was after I got there I progressed really quick & gave birth within 4 or 5 hours.

If you go too early they'll send you back home, they nearly did with me but it was quiet.

I would give them a call when you go into labour and see what they advise.
x

Id go in when they are realy starting to hurt but while you still have your calm head on.

I would go early even if it is just to get checked, they had told me to wait until contractions would be lasting for at least a minute at a time, but I never made it to a minute.. they then came every 2-3 minutes lasting 40 seconds and I was dying, I could hardly walk in anymore and they still thought I might no be in labour :dohh: when they checked I was 5cm and had baby 2 and a half hrs later, wished I had gone in earlier!

I have my home visit with midwife in an hour and we're going to discuss what happens when I go into labour (I'm going to the hospital). I'm planning on asking her when I should go/how early I can go. The labour/delivery rooms are huge and great at my hospital, plus they have the tubs/showers to labour in. My tub is too small to labour in and I don't have a seat in my shower so I'd rather be there doing it.

I stayed at home as long as I could then at the end my husband pretty much shoved me into the car to go the hospital... all I kept saying was I am supposed to spend most of the labour at home. Thankfully he shoved me in the car because when i arrived at the hosp which was about a 25 minute car ride i was 9.5cm dilated and almost ready to push... he did well shouting at me, telling me what we were doing and taking charge.

I especially like the last post:)
I pretty much think you should listen to your body to and when you've had enough just go or if you have other concerns. My natural caoch told us when contractions are 3 mins a part and consistant for an hour and also 60 seconds long is a good number rule of thumb, but otherwise when you just can't take it thats when its time to go. Not looking forward to experiencing that part though, but i'm ready!

My water broke at home, so the hospital wanted me to come in, about four hours later I was still at home, and they called and said the doctor wanted me to come in _now_. I was 3.5cm when I was checked. The good thing about going in early was that they had a large jacuzzi tub, and I labored in the water until I was ready to push. The bad part was I didn't progress in my first 3 hours, and the doctor said that if I didn't progress in the next 1.5 hours they'd put me on pitocin.

Here, once you go into the hospital (or tell them that your water has broken) you're on the clock. If you labor at home you don't have that same time pressure..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->