when to start worrying about baby being breech?

ArmyWife1984

Mommy to 2 boys :)
Reaction score
I had an ultrasound and found out that my baby is breeched at the moment..

I know i'm still early but when does being breech become more of a real concern for doctors?

Has anyone been breech right down to the wire and then have a change?

Babies can turn at any point. You've got plenty of time. My sil's baby was breech till 40 weeks. You can still vaginally birth a breech baby though.

You do not need to worry until 36 weeks minimum. If you are still breech then, your mw will start talking options with you :)

Yeah my midwife said they're not concerned about baby being beech until 36 weeks. X

My little girl is still breech today at 34+3 and to quote my midwife "Oh you've got plenty of time"

I am still booked for my homebirth :thumbup: My 36wk Homebirth appointment which will be at home will involve full antenatal check and position assessment again, then we will start talking options.

You have got plently of time - my girl was head down until 30 weeks then did her backflip! Cheeky chops!!

We did discuss birth options today, and my midwife believes a vaginal breech birth carries more risk than an elective C Section even though my hospital is very experiences with vaginal breech births but I will put those to the back of my mind until they themselves start to talk different options.

Nothing was said about my breech baby until 36 weeks other than "don't worry there's plenty of time". Still breech and I have declined the cesarean that was scheduled for today. I want to give this baby the maximum opportunity to turn as possible - it can happen in labour even - and I'm not afraid to birth a breech baby vaginally as long as I'm in the care of an experienced confident practitioner. Though finding one is not an easy task as no one is really taught how to deliver breech babies any more.

That said, the earlier you start encouraging baby to turn the more likely it will be. Check out spinningbabies.com for positions to turn breeches and if at 33/34 weeks you're still breech look into moxibution and chiropractic methods.

I have just turned and I'm 37 weeks. It was really painfull I knew it happened felt like I was starting labour but the pain all went away in about an hour

I was told that baby is breech at my last appointment. Don't think they've turned but I'm hopeless with that sort of thing lol.

I have a history of large babies so plans will be made from my growth scan in a month's time. Until then, no-one's worried lol. Even then, it's not a worry, it's just a factor to be aware of - it's not an emergency really.

My doctor didn't care until 36 weeks!! They manually flipped her and although it did hurt a bit, I am glad they did it! Her heart rate remained fine and I delivered a healthy baby girl vaginally at 40 weeks 3 days :)

I have a 36 week scan to check if she's moved (currently transverse!). Then they'll discuss options with me. No way I'll consider an EVC (manual turn) due to several trusted health academics I know advising me against it (though sure NHS will push me to do one). I'll also be happy to have a c-section if she's still transverse as a vaginal birth would be a crazy consideration in that situation. I'd recommend doing your research before agreeing to things, and make sure you think of the baby first and not getting scared about talk of c-sections etc if its what's best for the little one (or not in some cases!).

Thanks everyone for sharing your advice and stories! Very informative! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->