when to stop sterilising?

smurff

Mummy to Emily and Harry
Reaction score
Hi, as the title says, when's safe to stop sterilising bottles, my lo is 10mths and formula fed

I never sterilized beyond hot water+soap and using the dishwasher. :flower: She was 100% formula fed!

I think the guideline is that you should sterilise until 6 months. We stopped just shy of that at 5 months and something as we were away camping, so couldn't bring the electric steriliser and I couldn't cope with going back to using Milton's again. After that, I just cleaned really well in hot soapy water and let dry completely.

All bottles and teats should be sterilised for as long as you are using formula for.

I just wash with soap and hot water. The bottle package says to sterilize for first use only.

I did it about twice and decided it was not for us

i was always told that while ever you are feeding them formula you must sterilise until they are no longer having formula, but i got lazy and at 6 month i just started using really hot water from the tap, the way i saw it was i was using hot water to make the bottles anyway although im sure thats not a legit reason haha

I believe the recommendations for bottle sterilization vary by country. In the US, we are told to sterilize before the first use only. Hot soapy water is sufficient after that. We are also told not to use hot tap water, only cold or bottled or purified, because the hot water has a higher lead content.

In the UK you can stop sterilising at 1 year. Advice given to me by the health visitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->