When to wean?

PrincessJJ

Reaction score
I am so so confused! When should you wean baby?
Iv been given so many different recommendations by doctors/ health visitors/ baby groups / medical professionals.

My LO is constantly hungry even on hungrier baby milk, so HV suggested weaning her now, she is only 13weeks!!
Different HV suggested at 4months, doctor said 4.5months, baby group says never till 6months.

I don't know what to do x

It's very tough. Guidelines in the uk are absolutely not before 17 Wks but they recommend waiting til six mths. Follow baby. I always said if my baby wanted food before six mths I'd give it him. He never did he wasn't even really ready at six mths. I'd try and wait it out until 17 Wks if possible

The NHS and WHO guidelines are 6 months. There's really no excuse for why your HV or GP should be telling you otherwise. Is it going to cause massive harm at 4 months? Probably not. But it can be more risky as far as allergies and stomach issues. And all the research really does point to 6 months being the best time. But it's your choice. To give you my experience though, weaning doesn't decrease baby's milk consumption or improve sleep, which is usually why they tell you to wean early. My daughter is 9 months and sleeps the same and has the same amount of milk as she did before we started to wean.

When you say always hungry, what do you mean? It's perfectly normal for a baby that young to want to feed very often, even every hour with some periods of wanting to feed constantly. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong - think how much she is changing, growing and learning every day! She needs the energy for that. Hungry baby milk or early weaning won't help her with that; it will just trick her body into thinking it doesn't need the calories, but it does. I would report your HV for giving such terrible advice against all guidelines.

Guidelines in the UK have been 6 months, unless there are strong medical reasons for starting earlier, since 2003. These guidelines were reviewed again a couple of months ago and were still kept at 6 months. I agree this HV should be reported xx

The NHS and WHO guidelines are 6 months. There's really no excuse for why your HV or GP should be telling you otherwise. Is it going to cause massive harm at 4 months? Probably not. But it can be more risky as far as allergies and stomach issues. And all the research really does point to 6 months being the best time. But it's your choice. To give you my experience though, weaning doesn't decrease baby's milk consumption or improve sleep, which is usually why they tell you to wean early. My daughter is 9 months and sleeps the same and has the same amount of milk as she did before we started to wean.
Just wanted to agree with this. My Los sleep got worse during weaning and he still drank loads of milk. It was a very tough time and I'd always wait as long as you can as just milk feeding is so much easier if nothing else

When you say always hungry, what do you mean? It's perfectly normal for a baby that young to want to feed very often, even every hour with some periods of wanting to feed constantly. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong - think how much she is changing, growing and learning every day! She needs the energy for that. Hungry baby milk or early weaning won't help her with that; it will just trick her body into thinking it doesn't need the calories, but it does. I would report your HV for giving such terrible advice against all guidelines.

She most defiantly needed the hungry baby as she was taking her milk upto 9oz at a time which was too much for her little tummy and making her sick. Hungry baby reduced her to 6 oz every 2-3 hours, sometimes 4hours at night and no sickness..... She's now wanting the same amount every 1.5/2 hours through the day and night.... Which is fine by me, I'm off work to take care of her so doesn't matter to me how much she needs feeding which I told the HV etc.
I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing by feeding her milk when she wants as I'd had advice that I was doing something wrong.

Thank you girls..... I feel much more confident that I'm doing the right thing now :)
Going to ask for a new health visitor as I don't think its right that I was made to feel like I'm doing wrong with my baby for letting her feed when she wants.

I fed my baby when he wanted ... He was the other way and drank a little less than the recommended And I was made to feel I was doing wrong too but he caught up
And weighs fine now and eats loads

Not before 4 months and then when YOU feel it is right. Dont let people confuse or judge you...every baby is different and you will know your baby best and pick up cues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->