When?

SarahJayne_x

Reaction score
Hey Girlies...
Looking For A Little Bit Of Advice...
I Was In Asda Earlier, And Noticed On The Baby Food And Juices, It Says 4-6 Months Onwards...
When Are You Actually Supposed To Start Weaning Onto Jarred Foods Or Pureed Foods That I Have Made And Can Give To Him...??
Any Ideas Please??
Thanks In Advance...
Sarah
xx

6months is the advised age but the law about advertising hasn't changed yet. Some people start at 4months for various reasons and some health visitors support this, others are more strict, and some suggest it.

i was gonna say the same thing as kitten. Apparently the law is being changed soon so baby food can no longer say 4 months on it.

some people say to start when LO show 'signs of being ready' altho sometimes these 'signs' r not really signs of readyness 4 solids but actually signs of a huge growth spurt that happens around 4 months- like waking in the night for a feed after having previously slept thro...a common sign of the 4/ 5 month growth spurt.The same goes for LO suddenly drinking more/not being satsified on their usual amount of milk. All of these signs r also signs of growth spurts which do pass.
If u r going to wean its advised to not only wait until 6month+ but to also make sure LO can sit up unaided and no longer has the tongue thrust reflex- this is a biggy. Babies r not ready for food if they still have this (i guess its natures way of protecting their tummies). Its a defence reflex designed to push things out of the mouth with the tongue, to stop anything other than milk getting through. Spoon feeding can force food past the reflex.

at the end of the day though i guess its a case of reading up on the facts and making ur own choice abt what age is best.

We intended to wait until 6 months but on the advice of HV we weaned at 5month1week...so unless you have to i wouldnt wean until 6months :D x

yeah i was gonna wait until 6 months anyway. i was just curious as to why it said 4 months on it...
thanks girls
xx

I heard on a news programme last week or so that you can do a basic test to see if LO is ready.
From memory they said if baby can sit on floor unaided and pick up 1/2 a banana and put it to their mouths then they are ready!!!
Quite random I know, but it makes sense! My LO is 6 months in a couple of weeks, but still cant sit unaided, although can put things in his mouth. I don't think he's quite ready yet, although he is very interested in food (although is this just him being nosey?!!). I'd be happier waiting til he can sit up on his own, plus he's quite happy with his milk and his weight is fine :)

bjl1981 is right - according to this a lot of babies wouldn't even be ready at 6m, let alone 4m. Mine was ready at 7m.

Stupid question but why a banana? Is it because we are primates? Lol...

I guess it is soft and easy to bite bits off and chew? A good starting point I guess. I think they're vile though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->