which sling/wrap to use for big boobed mummy nursing a newborn

MNORBURY

Reaction score
Hi ladies

Can anybody recommend me a carrier to use for nursing a newborn? (and/or tell me which to avoid). Pre pregnancy I was an e cup so have fairly big boobs which doesnt help!

I've looked online and I'm baffled at how many different types there are!

I tried a ring sling when Evie was tiny and really couldn't get to grips with it so gave up with carriers full stop, however this time I really need to have hands free nursing so I can still do everything with my other little girl.

Thanks in advance :)

There's a FB, I think called baby wearing love and support. Try there. They'll know. I tend to think a wrap (not stretchy) would be your best bet. They are the most newborn friendly and incredibly versatile. I never had any problem nursing in a ring sling or a mai tei. However, I have the opposite problem to you -- no cleavage. Which turns out to be beneficial for baby wearing and nursing. There are plenty of large breasted moms on that FB page how could tell you their experiences.

I'm a member of that group and they are awesome. I will say that I have read quite a few posts where large breasted Mommas said they couldn't manage to nurse in a sling etc. But if anyone can point you in the right direction it's that group!

Definitely not a stretchy wrap, I am short torsoed and top heavy, stretchy wraps just don't work for me at all and definitely not for BF. a woven wrap would be good, as would a well designed ring sling (though those don't work for me otherwise), and mei Tais are workable as well though I found I would have to sit down and loosen the straps slightly to feed comfortably xx

SR, what do you consider a well designed RS Vs. a poorly designed one? Just curious as I make them. :)

Badly designed to me would be something like the baba sling where there is poor adjustability, too much padding in the rails and the fabric used is too hot and inflexible. Dr sears endorses a similarly bad one too which is like a hybrid between a bag sling and a padded ring sling and just doesn't look safe or comfortable at all. These carriers often get great reviews though as people don't know any better products exist xx

Thanks everyone :)

SR can you recommend where to get a woven wrap from or recommend a brand to look for - I'm a newby to baby wearing so clueless! x

Im the same size as you pre baby and i currently use the Baby Bjorn. It's really comfy for me and Bubby even with huge milky breasts. on another issue i made sure i got one with amazing lumbar support... essential after pregnancy with large breasts!

Thanks, SR. I'm with you. My ring slings have no padding and are usually made of a thin, but tightly woven material. Super easy.

I would avoid the Bjorn carriers and anything similar. There is general concern that they don't support a baby's hip joints well. Babies should be well seated with no pressure on their crotch and froggy legged until at least 4 months.

That FB page has lots of links to wrap brands. Be prepared for sticker shock. A woven ranges from $100-1000+. Seriously. You can look out for used -- nothing wrong with doing that. Ellaroo wraps are good and on the low price end if you want new. If you have a sewing machine, they are SUPER easy to make. Google woven wrap tutorial. I've made them for as little as $25 cost.

If you're in the UK the calin bleu gauze wraps are excellent-they are affordable within the £30-40 range last time I checked but very well made, they are made of a heavier weight muslin type fabric so have a bit of give and flexibility but are much more supportive than a stretchy wrap. I have the natural unbleached one as I figured the fabric would be stronger and more hardwearing as it hasn't been bleached or dyed in any way xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyawenya
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->