Who has been transferred to hospital during a home birth?

BunnyN

Reaction score
I would really like to have a home birth. My second choice is a hospital 40 mins drive from us. There is a hospital close to us but I don't want to go to that one. So my reservation about a home birth is that if something came up and I had to be transferred to hospital it seems likely I'd have to go to the closer hospital which I didn't want to go to. I'm not sure if I should take the risk and go for my home birth or settle for my second choice where I'll know where I am for sure. I'm just looking for experiences for women who had to get transferred, why and how far into labour, was it an emergency or just slow progress etc.

I transferred in (birth story in signature). I went in for pain relief so it wasn't an emergency (didn't get it because as soon as I hopped off the stretcher, I was ready to push). My hospital is literally 5 min from me though.

I transferred in (birth story in signature). I went in for pain relief so it wasn't an emergency (didn't get it because as soon as I hopped off the stretcher, I was ready to push). My hospital is literally 5 min from me though.

Thanks for the input. Are you glad you started at home even though you ended up going to hospital, or did you find the transfer more stressful than if you had just started in hospital?

Definitely pleased I stayed at home as long as possible. Even hubby agrees. I didn't find the transfer stressful. I got in the ambulance, was pushing 10 minutes later.

Research had shown that homebirth planners have a better chance of achieving a normal birth regardless of the actual location of birth so it's worthwhile planning it even if you need to transfer in!

https://homebirthersandhopefuls.com/the-birth-place-study-in-brief/

I had a PROM which complicated matters slightly but both hubby and I are of the firm belief that I would have had interventions if I was in hospital from the very beginning or if I had transferred in earlier. Also, by waiting as long as possible, I was able to get my natural birth.

I was trans, however this was my first baby, i delivered at home pain free 1st and 2nd stage no probs, then I had a retained placenta and had to go into theatre for spimanl and manuel removel! Not nice but, My son was born at home and as far as I am concerned I still got the home birth I wanted for my son--just had a few issues with me lol!

But am pregnant again and will deffo all o.k with preg e.t.c be having another home birth and hope the 3rd stage completes without the transfer this time round!

Good luck with it all, Plus I think if in your heart you want the home birth then go for it, if you need trans for an emergancy i.e needing to go then you wont care about the hosp in the heat of the moment, I knew for nearly an hour that I may need to be transfered as they allowed me an hour to try and deliver the placenta at home.

I was in labour 12 hours back to back and then transferred after 1 hour pushing (yes, I pushed in the ambulance!). Baby was born in the hospital an additional hour later. Because I was at high risk for shoulder dystocia (1st baby had it at the hospital), and prolonged pushing is a 'warning sign', they transferred me. I did get repeat shoulder dystocia, but it was minor and without any medications, it was very easy to fix physically.

The reason on my notes was "prolonged and difficult labour" (tbh, I found this home labour much easier than my hospital epidural one!)

I am VERY happy with my home birth and would have done it again. I was discharged 3 hours later and never saw a doctor or nurse. FYI for your husband, while I was being transferred, my midwife was on a conference speaker with the OBGYN at the hospital the entire time - so, you don't necessarily get 'assessed' at the hospital, the doctor is already well aware of your situation and if they are needed, they will attend to you - hospital transfers are often just precautions.

I was transferred in with dd2 after my waters broke and she had passed meconium. I presumed I'd be transferred to the nearest hospital but she actually asked which one I'd of been booked in for had I not been having a hb. So I did go to the one further away. Had they of been closed or if dd was in distress and needed urgent attention it may have been different, I don't know. There's only a few mins difference in distance of ours though especially in an ambulance. They didn't have sirens on but presume lights were on as everytime it slowed down he was sounding the horn to move traffic. She was born within 15 mins of getting there :-(

Thanks ladies, you have given me more confidence. Now I just have to find a MW! I'm not in UK so it's a bit harder to arrange a home birth, we'll need to do it privately but are okay with that if we can just find someone to attend. It might mean that communication between the hospital and MW is not so good also but I'm not too worried about that because we are very close to the nearest hospital if it is a true emergency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->