Who has been transferred to hospital during a home birth?

BunnyN

Reaction score
I would really like to have a home birth. My second choice is a hospital 40 mins drive from us. There is a hospital close to us but I don't want to go to that one. So my reservation about a home birth is that if something came up and I had to be transferred to hospital it seems likely I'd have to go to the closer hospital which I didn't want to go to. I'm not sure if I should take the risk and go for my home birth or settle for my second choice where I'll know where I am for sure. I'm just looking for experiences for women who had to get transferred, why? and how far into labour? was it an emergency or just slow progress? etc.

I was transferred because of meconium. They were trying to decide whether to transfer before or after Willow came as I was pretty far gone but Willow came anyway. The ambulance came 5 minutes after they called it. My hospital is 30 minutes away by car but ambulance is 15.

I delivered Willow and the placenta then showered. Because willow was fine there was no rush, we didn't leave for the hospital for about a hour. One paramedic stayed with me while I showered (the midwives were having tea and doing paperwork) and the guy just waited downstairs.

willow came with me in the ambulance and DH followed in the car.

my transfer was stress free and completely precautionary. If we have meconium this time I will be assessing it and probably doing the obs at home.

If you do have to transfer they try and make it as stress free as possible and I know in my area the ambulance service are told of your homebirth so they are ready

^ I wish they'd have done that for me!! I was transferred and was close to having her in the ambulance without oh there!! I knew she was fine, I should have refused but she said I was 3 cm so I thought there was forever yet!! Then before getting in ambulance she made a comment that if they made me walk I'd have the baby on route!! :-( I should have trusted my instincts and told her to get lost, now I'm thinking I'll never get my perfect birth!! X

I had him at home then transfered post birth for observation as there was no medical professional at the birth and i wanted a weight/lenght done and i needed blood taking to check my iron levels

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->