Why did I choose a male obgyn?!

teamandy

Reaction score
In two weeks I'll be having a swab to see if I have that bacteria (I forgot what its called, its a bacteria that could infect baby upon delivery?)

Is it wrong to be self-conscious and freaked out about having him down there when it's not birth? Lots of things have been going on (discharge, leaking, lack of shaving etc...) so I'm dreading it!

What should I expect?
He also mentioned checking the baby's position through my cervix in the next few appointments. Freaking out.

It's not wrong to feel what you're feeling. That's pretty normal. But try not to worry too much. :) I have a male obgyn, and he is more professional than the female one I had before him. I was worried when I first started seeing him, as I didn't know what to expect, but I'm glad I chose him now. They've seen everything already, plus some :D Mine tries to be as quick and unobtrusive as possible.

I've had male OB's for both of my pregnancies. After a while you don't even think about it.

I definitely understand your discomfort! I've had a few exams done by my old male GP, and he was always very professional about it. Internal exams are never fun, but it wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be. Hopefully yours isn't too bad.

Thanks ok ok. I might just be psyching myself out

Am I supposed to make small talk meanwhile lol

Thanks ok ok. I might just be psyching myself out

Am I supposed to make small talk meanwhile lol

Ha! Do whatever makes you more comfortable in the moment! You may be distracted by small talk, you never know.

I know how you feel! When I first met my OB, who's an older guy, he asked if I'd be open to having a student. DH and I agreed to it, we still get the older guy over seeing everything but get this student for all our appointments. I'm 24 and he looks the same age as me!!

At our second appointment he gave me my pap smear, he was great but the poor guy turned beet red! I actually bumped into him at McDonalds this morning which was quite weird, like seeing your teachers outside school when you're a kid!

I see how it could be weird but I've always had male obgyns so I don't think that much about it.
I've felt weirder having a female down there for some reason.

I know how you feel! When I first met my OB, who's an older guy, he asked if I'd be open to having a student. DH and I agreed to it, we still get the older guy over seeing everything but get this student for all our appointments. I'm 24 and he looks the same age as me!!

At our second appointment he gave me my pap smear, he was great but the poor guy turned beet red! I actually bumped into him at McDonalds this morning which was quite weird, like seeing your teachers outside school when you're a kid!

That's what I don't want! That the dr gets all awkward and then I'll feel all awkward and then there's this weird elephant in the room haha. But you guys are right, I won't think much of it and hopefully it will go fast.

I think if you are a doctor or especially an OB, you get over any embarassment really fast. Having worked in the medical field, I can assure you, things become mundane very quickly and don't even phase you anymore.

Jumping over from second trimester! I feel the same as you!!

My dr is so cute too...I feel so awkward but honestly he is soo professional and quick. Plus every exam, pap and test I've had done including a sweep he has been so gentle. Much more so than my previous female drs.

I just tell them in advance how awkward I feel and they try so hard to make me feel better and laugh which helps. My nurse usually does the small talk with me so I can just try and forget what's hapoening at the other end haha!

I had two different female OB-GYNs during my first pregnancy, and then an older (in his 60's) male OB-GYN for my second pregnancy. I'm using him again this time around. He's absolutely amazing and has never once made me feel uncomfortable. He's professional when he needs to be, yet knows the appropriate jokes to crack to always keep a smile on your face. I really cannot say enough positive things about him.

I am actually quite uncomfortable with this too. I have always had a female doc and my ob gyn is a male. Haven't had him look down there yet,but I am really nervous about it!

For that swab (strep b) the nurse just gave me instructions and a qtip thing and left the room so I could swab myself.

I've never gone to a male doctor for lady related things but the city I live in has limited doctors. Eep! Most likely be a male. I understand your concerns for sure. You're not alone at least! Xo

I definitely understand your discomfort, but I wouldn't worry too much about it :p I think they've pretty much seen it all and they know what to expect (the discharge, leaking, etc). I've had 2 male doctors and 1 female doctor give me a pap smear and I honestly preferred the male doctors. The female doc was almost too cautious and it took forever, making me feel even more uncomfortable whereas with the male docs they were quick, professional and it was over before I knew it. With the female doc they even called to say they didn't get enough of a 'sample' and wanted me to come back!! Nope! Ended up switching to a different family doctor. But my OBGYN is male too and he's super nice so even though I'm a little nervous (will always be) I know it'll be just fine :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->