Why is my parsley dying?!

MiniKiwi

Reaction score
Everything I've read says that parsley is a tough plant, easy to keep alive, doesn't mind sitting in water or not much water, heat or cold etc.

I've had three die on me now though and I really like to use them in my cooking. So what am I doing wrong? I water a small amount every couple/three days, keep it on the windowsill so it gets a bit of light (though it's only a few hrs a day), it's not particularly cold or hot, I cut it with scissors. Any tips?

Are the leaves turning yellow at the bottom? If so, then this means over watering.

What type of pot is it in? Is it on a windowsil? Does it have holes in the bottom of the pot and lying in a dish?

They need deep watering so if the top is wet, stick your finger in and see how wet it is about 2cm down, if it's bone dry, that's your answer.

Soil should be slightly damp to touch, not wet or dry.

Thanks MrsVenn! I currently have one on the bench which I kept in a water dish, a couple of leaves went yellow but it wilted over night the first day I got it. It's stems are all dry.. The other is on the window sill, both have pots with holes in the bottom, I watered this one less and it survived 2 weeks until it started to dry out. They're in those regular cheap plastic pots they come in, would I have more luck transferring them?

Is there any hope of bringing these back to life or is it over once they've wilted/gone crisp?

Try buying a proper plant from a garden centre. The supermarket ones are forced and very unlikely to survive because their growth pattern is out of balance. If that's not an option, try dividing the supermarket ones and replanting in several separate pots with good quality compost as soon as you buy them.

Thanks MrsVenn! I currently have one on the bench which I kept in a water dish, a couple of leaves went yellow but it wilted over night the first day I got it. It's stems are all dry.. The other is on the window sill, both have pots with holes in the bottom, I watered this one less and it survived 2 weeks until it started to dry out. They're in those regular cheap plastic pots they come in, would I have more luck transferring them?

Is there any hope of bringing these back to life or is it over once they've wilted/gone crisp?

Chuck and start again if they dry out, you can try putting in holes (use your finger) and add a little water to them every few days to see if it comes back but generally once they've wilted and gone crisp, they're difficult to bring back unless you have a little general feed for them.

I wouldn't bother transfering them as they're ok in plastic, it's terracotta that can be a problem if not glazed inside as they absorb.

So I say, start again, keep them in a partial light catching spot so like the sill but make sure that they don't get too cold on there if there's a frost i.e. move it off the night before so it doesn't get too cold. Keep watering it as you were (when it lasted 2 weeks) and see how you go.

I agree that supermarket ones are forced and so can be 50/50 with luck. Just keep trying and one wil make it. Tbh though, herbs do go over and once done, start again. HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->