Will breastfeeding cause cavities

Elisianna

Reaction score
My baby just turned one and we had her doctor's appointment this morning.

My daughter looooooves the boob. She sucks all through the day, sometimes for only a few seconds to "touch base" with me before going back to playing. Well the doctor said I am "not doing her any favours" and that I should only let her go to the breast four times a day (and nothing through the night). She said I should tell my daughter "no" when she wants the breast outside of those times.

She said it was because breastmilk can cause cavities. I have heard this before but always put off worrying about it... But now she is getting to be the age that I do worry.

What do I do?? Am I being a bad mom by letting her come to the breast whenever she wants day or night?

I was still bfing my daughter at night at 20months. I mentioned it to my HV and she wasn't a bit bothered, never mentioned teeth or anything. Why is it supposed to be worse than taking a sip of cows milk or juice from a sippy cup every so often during the day? Sound like rubbish to me. Have you seen a dentist to check her teeth?

Haven't been to the dentist... When I asked at my last dentist appointment they said they don't usually see babies until at least two, though some people insist on going at one years old... Maybe I should?

I don't see how it would be different from a sip of milk or juice either.... I am so paranoid though! I knew a family and all three children had horrible, brown teeth that were jagged and decayed almost to the gums!! (Though thst was an extreme case and the mother gave them juice constantly)

Thanks for the response!

Nonsense. Just make sure you are brushing her teeth and it will be fine.

I've read a bit about it - as far as I know, breastfeeding is very different to formula or a cup of milk because of the way the nipple goes towards the back of the mouth instead of at the front. The milk doesn't surround the teeth like it does from a bottle, nor does the breast allow milk to pool in the mouth like a bottle does (it stops flowing when baby stops sucking and swallowing, whereas a bottle will drip until empty). I think breastmilk has components that work to protect teeth too.

Plus, you are attached to your boob so you probably remove it once LO is asleep, unlike if you let LO fall asleep with a bottle - you might not notice the bottle's still in LO's mouth until you go to check (assuming an older baby who feeds him/herself).

I think a lot of people just don't know the difference between breast and bottle and between formula and breast milk; perhaps that's the reason for the doctor's (bad) advice? I'd ignore it. My youngest has a couple of milk teeth where the enamel didn't develop properly so we've seen the dentist but breastfeeding wasn't even asked about so it doesn't appear to concern the dentist we saw.

If you're concerned, maybe just offer LO a drink of water regularly and make sure you're brushing properly.

There's some great info here about it on Kellymom.com. It doesn't seem like it should be a problem. https://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/tooth-decay/

Thanks all!

My doctor has consistently given me advice I do not agree with (she wanted me to let my daughter CIO if she wasn't sleeping through at four months)

Thank you very much for your thoughtful responses and the link!

Your doctor seems very old school... maybe you should advisehim or her next time to get some up to date info on babies.

I second what the pp's have said. Breastfeeding wont cause cavities. Call me a terrible mother but my lo wouldnt let me brush her teeth twice a day until about a year ago maybe. She was ebf for 8 months and after that she never had juice/sweets until abt a yr ago..hence enforcing brushin of her teeth. Even now juice is given rarely... and only allowed one or two sweets most days not everyday.

Nope it doesn't, it doesn't pool in the mouth, I remember the dentist told my mother that ebf caused my brother teeth to decay :/

Since breast milk is sweet, I do believe there can be a risk of cavities if you are night feeding. Risk for cavities is also genetic. I still night feed LO at 9 months, but I brush her teeth with a wet cloth that has Xylitol toothpaste on it. I do this in the morning and during the day, after a meal. She is also still very much into putting things in her mouth, so she loves 'brushing her teeth' with this rubbery banana toothbrush I got her.

I should post the links! Oops.

Banana toothbrush:

https://www.diapers.com/p/baby-banana-brush-original-baby-banana-brush-152876?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_D&utm_term=BBT-001&utm_campaign=GooglePLA&CAWELAID=1338666821&utm_content=pla&ca_sku=BBT-001&ca_gpa=pla&ca_kw={keyword}

Xylitol Toothpaste:

https://www.amazon.com/Xlear-Tooth-Xylitol-Original-Flavor/dp/B00181EXL2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395380441&sr=8-2&keywords=spry+tooth+gel+with+xylitol

Anything can cause cavities if it's left on the teeth all night, although formula & juice are much worse than breastmilk since they're much higher in sugar! As long as you brush her teeth after her last feed at night, & again another once during the day, then I don't see how it can be a problem. Doctors don't know everything about BFing tbh, in fact, a lot of them give very bad advice about it!

With regards to going to the dentist, my LO has been going since he was 9 months, but really only to get him used to going so it's not a big shock when he's older & actually has to get his teeth checked. I just take him along when I go & the dentist takes a wee look in his mouth, when he opens it, lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->