Will I be induced early if my last child had shoulder dystocia?

twiggy327

Reaction score
I had no problems giving birth to my DD. She came 10 days late via induction and was a petite 7lbs. My DS arrived 2.5 weeks early @ 8lb10oz. He had ended up having shoulder dystocia and was incredibly bruised on his face and shoulders from the trauma of delivery. His whole face was purple and im not exaggerating. DH thought our son was still born when the doctor quickly rushed my not yet screaming boy over to the exam table to the nurses, he was that purple. The doc said then that if I have a next one, which I wasn't planning on but things happen, they would want to induce me 3-4 weeks before my due date to prevent another difficult birth. Can/do they really do that with previous shoulder dystocia births?

I think induction is not recommended in this case. There's a discussion here (most of it not specific to homebirth):
https://www.homebirth.org.uk/shoulder.htm

Half of all babies with shoulder dystocia are of normal weight, so it's not about baby being too big, and tbh 8lbs 10oz, whilst a good healthy weight, isn't considered quite over the threshold into "big baby", medically.

Good luck with your decision!

Are you in the US or the UK? I can't really speak for the US, but in the UK (or at least in my area), previous shoulder dystocia wouldn't really be an indication for induction.
Especially since your DD was overdue, and your DS was early - which just goes to show that a later gestation doesn't really have an impact on whether you're going to have a shoulder dystocia, as you didn't with your DD.

I don't know, maybe they'll keep an eye on baby's growth and go from there, but even growth scans aren't that accurate, and as the previous poster said, it's not really about the size either.

How bad was the shoulder dystocia, do you know how they got him out in the end or how long it took..?
Would you want to be induced 3-4 weeks early..? Even if they do offer it, you don't have to say yes.

I know it wasn't your question but prehaps do research about positions you can try during labour and birth. I looked into it because I knew ds was going to be big and we were planning a home birth so I was concerned. Simple positions like hands and knees are very effective but often not used in hospital. In the end there was no problem despite him being even bigger than we expected at almost 11lbs!

Unless the shoulder dystocia was due to your pelvis then it is just one of those things that happens. Early induction isn't necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->