Will they let me change position?

JumpingIn

Mummy+TTC#2
Reaction score
This is going to sound like such a newbie question :haha:

So I have to give birth in a hospital as I have a heart condition. Assuming there are no complications the only thing that will need monitoring is my heart rate. So my question is, is it the "done thing" for women in hospital to labour and push on their backs on the bed? Or will they actually allow me to push in a different position, like on all fours or upright? I feel so silly asking! :blush: Think I've been watching too much One Born Every Minute, in that there are always midwives and partners holding back some poor woman's legs as she struggles to push against gravity, even without any complications or an epidural in place.

Importantly, I'm going to try not to have an epi...I realise movement wouldn't be possible with one in!

I'm not entirely sure, but had my lg at 34 weeks and as to monitor her all the time I wasn't allowed to move off the bed, lay proped up on my back. I wasn't even allowed up to pee. You would be best asking at your next appointment xx

It really depends on your hospital and your doctors. Some will be rigid and want you on you back, some will do everything they can to support you getting into the best position you can. I'm not sure how monitoring your heart rate would impact what positions you're able to get into, but hopefully there's some flexibility - even just sitting up in the bed or lying on your side is supposed to make a huge difference over lying down.

Are you in the UK? If so you will most likely be encouraged to change position to find the most comfortable position for you and to help things along. With my 1st LO I was encouraged to change position and find the most comfy position for me, and most importantly encouraged NOT to get on my back on the bed, worst position for birth! Then my LO needed monitoring and they could only get an accurate reading while I was on my back :dohh: :haha:. With my DD I was encouraged to be active and change position, particularly to get LO into a god position. I have a heart condition and my pulse and heart rate were monitored but it was periodic and unobtrusive- I don't remember most of the checks but I know the MW checked me in whatever position I was in, even if my chest was under water at the time.

I had to give birth on my back with my son as his was an assisted delivery, I said with my second I would NOT be on my back, about an hour before she was born I was leaning my frony against the top part of the bed but ended up pushing on my back :haha: I was just told to be comfortable!

I had an epidural and I still could move like no tomorrow. The pain was gone though XD Anyway, when it came to pushing I couldn't sit still. I was on my back, all fours, legs up, legs down, on my side you name it! I was probably pissing off the nurses cause I couldn't sit still lol I was told you had an epidural how are you moving like that XD So my hospital allowed me to move whatever way I wanted lol.

I say, ask your doctor so you know what to expect - then do what you want! Its not like they are going to restrain you. I stood up and I had an epidurral - I had nurses begging me not to do it, but I did! Then they were like "oh, your epidurral isn't in right" lol But I probably wouldn't have had the urge to stand and squat if my epidurral was in right.

That is one thing to take note of - when in labor sometimes your body just does what it wants. You don't really tell it to, you may even tell it not to, and its hard to explain unless you have experienced it.... but the docs know that and I would be so shocked if they caused any problem over you moving positions.

Not sure if you're in the UK like me so it may differ but during my first labour I was induced and hooked up to a drip and a machine so they wouldn't let me move at all. Second labour because it was all natural I moved around the whole time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->