William Peter Marshall Balestrini - 17/1/10 - LONG

purplerat

Mum of 3
Reaction score
So this is my birth story....

Went into hospital at 38 +3 weeks on Fri 15th Jan at 8 am for a induction but they had me down for 7 pm! As I was there already they let me stay and started me off at about 9 am with the pessary. Over the day I felt a few niggles but by tea time I had only dilated 1 cm, so they inserted another tablet. I started to contract a little bit and had my show, so thought for sure things were well on the way! They sent my OH home about 10ish, but my mum stayed with me and slept on the sofa as I was convinced something would happen during the night. Though it didn't and by breakfast I had only dilated to 2 cm!

OH returned and they were debated whether to break my waters then or insert another tablet and as babies head was only 2/5 engaged they decided to give me one more tablet as there was a risk that babies cord would come down and cause a cord pro-lapse. By lunch time I was getting more pain and was also getting really frustrated so started jumping up and down and marching on the spot and wouldn't keep still.

By tea time on the Saturday I had another internal and I was still only 2cm! They decided then to break my waters but were careful to keep babies head from letting the cord drop down, which was succesful.

About 4 pm I was taken to a delivery suite and things moved slowly so they put me on a drip. At first it was alright but they kept upping the dose pretty quickly and I was on the gas and air. It worked at first but very quickly things got seriously painful. By 11ish I was dilated to 5 cm, so only 3 cm in 7 hours :( Also, babies head was in an awkward position and not properly engaged and my cervix was still quite posterior. I was starting to find it really hard with the pain so had an epidural.... which only worked on my right side. My mum had told me all along once I had it I would feel relief but I didn't :( They even topped it up to numb my left side but it didn't work again! When the anesthetist came to explain the procedure I was writhing in pain and I didn't really pay attention to what she had said at all. I was so scared I'd move when she injected it, but I didn't. By half midnight the pain was so excruciating and I had progressed no further. So the doctor prepped us for an emergency C-Section.

As the epidural didn't work I was given a Spinal Block which was so weird as you are just numb from waste down. I was sick during the section but cause you can't feel your stomach muscles you can't wretch properly :( My blood pressure dropped a lot too and I got very dizzy and also claustrophobic behind the little curtain.

Finally, after what felt like a looong time, William Peter Marshall was born at 1.27 am on Sunday 17th Jan weighing 9lb 6 oz! He didn't cry for a good 30 seconds but once we heard him it was a relief and I just cried and so did OH :)

I was shattered by the end of the whole ordeal, and so was OH and my mum too. We went back to the delivery suite to bond and I was sick again and my blood pressure went right up. They got it under control and transferred us over to the ward.

He was suspected to have enlarged kidneys so he went for some blood tests after we had a cuddle. He has since been transferred to Great Ormond Street Hospital as they need to monitor his kidney condition which is known as ARPKD and he also has low blood sugar levels. I got discharged ASAP from the hospital I was at as I didn't wanna be away from him and it was hard to be on a ward with mums and their babies. I am staying with him on the ward at GOSH and they are excellent there.

We should be home soon though - We can't wait!

Will post some pics when I can work out how :)

UPDATE: I haven't written for a long time as I have been so busy. William came home after 3 weeks and we are so happy:) He does have kidney problems called ARPKD and blood sugar regulation problems called Hyper Insulinism so we regualrly visit Great Ormond Street and our local hospital and give him lots of medicines every day but we wouldn't change him for the world. I have also managed to upload some pictures from birth and one of him now at 4 months!

Attachments

• William 06.jpg
    William 06.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 9
  • William 6.jpg
    William 6.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 28052010154.jpg
    28052010154.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 7
Congratulations. Ur story is so similar tomine. Hope everything goes ok and u both get home soon xx

Oh goodness! How wonderful! Keep us posted on his kidneys!

Congratulations, I hope he is home with you soon xx

congrats on your little boy! Hope you are both home soon. :)

congrats hun and hope he gets home safe and well soon xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"