Wisdom tooth extraction

Miss_Bump

Reaction score
I'm finally getting my wisdom tooth cut out in a few weeks but the more I think about it the more nervous I'm getting. The surgeon asked if I wanted to be put out for it and I said no just give me a local anaesthetic but now I'm wondering if they can give me gas and air? Is this even possible while having a tooth out?

I'm going to call the hospital tmw to ask.

Has anyone had this?

My DH has has a wisdom tooth taken out while he was awake. He was given an injection and they just pulled it. He also had one next to the wisdom tooth (different side) cut out under general anaesthetic. He was under for 3 minutes and had 2 stitches. This was almost 2 weeks ago and the healing has been amazing. He was out of bed and ready to go home within an hour of the surgery and said he felt better coming out than going in! The healing time was half what it was for the one he was awake for. If youve got any more questions i will be happy to ask him for you :flower:

Wow that was quick!

My tooth has slightly erupted and I have been told will take about 30 mins as some of it is still deep in my jaw.

If it was a quick 5 min job then i think I'd grin and bare it so to speak lol but I'm crapping my pants!!!

Haha its way quicker under a general. His tooth literally blew apart when they got into theatre and started moving it. It was in a terrible state! It couldnt be removed under local because anaesthetics just wouldnt work on it anymore and the tooth wasnt going to hold. It was cracked and half of it was totally missing :dohh:

Either way, im sure you will be completely fine. The worst part with the local was no stitches and it took longer to heal, but they may be planning to give you some anyway.

I had sedation to have mine out as they wouldn't give me a general. I'm not sure I could have done it with just a local though. Is sedation an option??

i had mine removed while pregnant, i too was dreading it, but it was fine. all i had for pain relief afterward was paracetamol - and im a total wuss! oh i had it removed under local x

I do not know how it works where you are, but I refuse the gas, I think it is horrible. They knock me out with versed(basically liquid Valium) and I never have to feel any of the pain!

I found out I'm having my wisdom tooth removed next week. They offered me sedation with IV Midazolam as I'm really scared of the procedure. Apparently with that I'll be high as a kite and won't care & probably won't remember either. I won't be put under though. I'm still scared but knowing I will have the drugs makes me feel more relaxed about it. Can you ask for sedation?

i was sedated with valium too. i was mildly aware of them doing it but its foggy.

I had mine under local in the Dental Hospital which was a huge mistake. Lots of complications I would have avoided by going under. I will be having general for my next ones!!!

I just had mine out last Thursday. I had the local, but he had to keep giving me more. He said he's never seen anyone burn through it so fast. Mine were erupted with not huge roots, so it wasn't that bad. The only thing I have taken is Aleve and that was just the first and second day. It doesn't really hurt any more than the root canals I had and they weren't bad. I can't open my mouth all the way without some jaw pain yet though.

Thanks all :)

I phoned today and the receptionist is going to check with a nurse tmw and see if i can have G&A

I cant wait to have this tooth out its driving me crazy!

good luck hun- i had a general with mine, but that's because i had all 4 removed at once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->