Won't sleep in her cot?

nikky0907

Reaction score
So Lola has officially grown out her bassinet,each time I'd be afraid it'll tip over so for the past week I've been putting her to sleep in her big crib (cot,another British word :lol:) in her own room.
She just won't sleep in it!
I put her in,swaddle her feet,wind her Aquarium and stay there till she falls asleep but as soon as I'm out of the room she starts whinging,not even her pacifier helps!
I can't put the cot in my room because it doesn't fit so I've been ''sleeping'' in her room in a nursing chair!
Then the past two nights I was sooooo tired I put her to bed with me and I know I'm just making the transition worse. :hissy:

Any suggestions on what to do?

xxxx

CIO method? I couldn't but many people are stronger than I am

I know the feeling! I cheated and just let her sleep with me

What I did was leave her to it. Lay her in her cot when she was tired, even for naps in the day so she would get used to being in there. She's fine in it now but it was hard. I think babies are aware of you more than you think and when they know you are there they will want to be comforted and so they'll cry. I foun this when Grace was in my room. She would cry to be picked up, fed and cuddled back to sleep. It's difficult leaving them in the room knowing they are crying but it does help them in the long run. If she's fed, dry and winded then the only thing that will be wrong with her in theory will be that she wants to be with you. But if you give in to her you won't sleep. I learnt the hard way and went 5 months getting barely any sleep. Now I get as much as 9 hours. Have you tried controlled crying? Leave the room, let her cry for a few minutes. If she hasn't stopped, go back in but don't pick her up, just talk to her, shush her etc. Then leave and repeat it a few times leaving it longer between each time. Hopefully she will start to learn that crying doesn't mean cuddles and she'll eventually either get bored or tire herself out and learn to get herself to sleep. Good luck!

I agree, start putting her in it during the day.

You dont have to let her CIO, but I did have trouble with Jasmine once. I jut kept going back in every 5-10 mins and eventually she settled and went to sleep.

Your right, if you want her to start sleeping there the sooner you get her in it and comfortable the better. Bringing her into your bed really is just going to make it harder.

What I did was leave her to it. Lay her in her cot when she was tired, even for naps in the day so she would get used to being in there. She's fine in it now but it was hard. I think babies are aware of you more than you think and when they know you are there they will want to be comforted and so they'll cry. I foun this when Grace was in my room. She would cry to be picked up, fed and cuddled back to sleep. It's difficult leaving them in the room knowing they are crying but it does help them in the long run. If she's fed, dry and winded then the only thing that will be wrong with her in theory will be that she wants to be with you. But if you give in to her you won't sleep. I learnt the hard way and went 5 months getting barely any sleep. Now I get as much as 9 hours. Have you tried controlled crying? Leave the room, let her cry for a few minutes. If she hasn't stopped, go back in but don't pick her up, just talk to her, shush her etc. Then leave and repeat it a few times leaving it longer between each time. Hopefully she will start to learn that crying doesn't mean cuddles and she'll eventually either get bored or tire herself out and learn to get herself to sleep. Good luck!

Thanks. Yes, the only thing she wants is to be with me,nothing else wrong with her.

Is controlled the thing when you let them cry a bit then go and comfort them and each time you leave them for 5 minutes longer?

Yeah it is, that's what I did. It is really hard because like Lola, Grace rarely cries, she usually just whinges and so hearing her cry made me want to go in a give her a cuddle. But it's the best thing I ever did if I'm honest. And there's nothing wrong with her wanting to be with you, infact it's lovely that she wants to be. My little sister used to make my mum sleep on the floor with her hand through the cot bars holding her hand and because my mum gave into her she refused to sleep on her own until she was 3 (but obviously that's an extreme case!) you'll feel so much better for it too :)

She ay start sleeping through too once she is more comfotrable.

Yeah it is, that's what I did. It is really hard because like Lola, Grace rarely cries, she usually just whinges and so hearing her cry made me want to go in a give her a cuddle. But it's the best thing I ever did if I'm honest. And there's nothing wrong with her wanting to be with you, infact it's lovely that she wants to be. My little sister used to make my mum sleep on the floor with her hand through the cot bars holding her hand and because my mum gave into her she refused to sleep on her own until she was 3 (but obviously that's an extreme case!) you'll feel so much better for it too :)

It is sweet that she wants to be with me but sleep is also another very sweet thing :lol:
I'll try this,thank you :hugs:

Ryder - fingers crossed! Sleeping through would be an amazing additional bonus :D

It is sweet that she wants to be with me but sleep is also another very sweet thing :lol:
Blah, it's gonna be hard but I'll deffinitely try. Thank you :hugs:

Ryder - fingers crossed! Sleeping through would be an amazing additional bonus :D

I usually take naps with jas, it hasnt upset her sleep routine yet and we still get snuggle time.

Thats so cute!
Lola is a very weak napper, she sleeps maybe 2 1/2 hours total in the day...I honestly don't know where she gets her energy!

Renah whines and stuff too. She is in my room so I just leave her too it, but if she really starts to cry I pick her up and rock her back to sleep. I just keep her up about 10 minutes after she falls asleep to make sure she's really asleep and put her back.

Thomas has just done four nights in his own room in his cot, and he is fine with it now. He loves his rainforest musical mobile, so I was using his cot as somewhere to put him to keep him amused whilst I had a shower each day. I got one of those cot dividers so that he does not feel like he is in such a big space, and have been using a baby sleeping bag which keeps him nice and cosy. He now goes off nicely in his cot. When he started out being a bit grizzly, I would leave him until I knew it was "real" crying (not just shouting which he does sometimes), then would comfort him but not take him out. Once he was calm I would leave again, and the gaps between each time got longer and eventually he went to sleep. From then on it just got easier.

Good luck!

Renah whines and stuff too. She is in my room so I just leave her too it, but if she really starts to cry I pick her up and rock her back to sleep. I just keep her up about 10 minutes after she falls asleep to make sure she's really asleep and put her back.

I rock her to sleep and I really do belive she's completely out but as soon as I tiptoe out...BAM! :dohh:
She's just so used to meing right next to me...

Hoping - so you do controlled crying too?
I also placed wedges (dividers) but I don't out her in a sleeping bag, might try that...

I have the elevation wedge and the side wedges too, and she is wrapped up in this super soft and fuzzy thing. It has seperate feet and then wraps around the body. She loves it.

I'm doing controlled crying now, so things are getting better

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->