Wool diaper cover smells like wet dog - normal??

CloudyDay

Reaction score
I'm so excited... just picked up a previously-loved Aristocrats wool diaper cover. :happydance: It came w/ a light "dusting" of dog fur but is otherwise in excellent condition - doesn't even look used.

When I washed it today, a "wet dog" odour immediately emanated from the cover as soon as it got wet. The odour was stronger in warm water.

Is this normal? If not, then I guess the family pet somehow got a nice snuggle w/ the cover! :dohh:

i dont use wool but ive heard others saying they use lanolin, might be worth a go x

get some scented wool wash, yummy, bums n roses and bibs n bots both sell it

Thanks for the suggestions! I did wash it using a recommended homemade wool wash formula containing Lansinoh and baby shampoo. The shampoo scent did nothing for the odour... just comingled w/ it! Perhaps it's the lanolin that stinks??

I don't think lanolin smells of anything, I used to do mine with lasinoh and johnsons baby bath (it has one good use) and never had any problems.

Thanks flutterbywing! Yeah, when I sniff the Lansinoh right out of the tube, there's no funky smell like that!

I just got in touch w/ the makers of my wool cover and they told me it's normal for the cover to smell like that when wet and should go away after the cover is completely dry. They also suggested several more washes would help and also suggested adding vinegar to the last rinse. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->