Working Mums & School Activities

Tinylo

Mum to 2 boys
Reaction score
Just wondered how those of you who work manage to fit in going to things like assemblies, harvest festival, viewing their work, plays etc etc. I seem to have something on the calendar nearly every wk between now and christmas! I want to go because I want to support lo but i cant keep taking time off work, and dh defintely can't! What does everyone else do?

I pick and choose. You wont be the only parent not there. Try to get a grandparent or hubby to alternate (and take videos), but I just ant do everything. I try to be there for the big stuff.

yep it's hard, I've been off recently but last year (preschool) I missed everything. I felt really guilty but I'm going to try and make a christmas show and maybe a summer sports day or something and just tell myself that at least I'm there for some things, and that I'm doing my best by working.

Just do what you can, I'm lucky enough not to start work till 1pm most days and my work are very good, if I do need to come in late, also OH works from home, the school wont expect you to come to everything :flower:

I normally build toil up in lucky I can tho and also use flexi time such as working 11- till 7 etc instead

Work are quite good, but I've just had to take 5 weeks of half days to fit around the settleing in period, I don't want to take take the p@%s to much for the rest of this year......maybe next year. :winkwink:

I guess I'll have to be a bit selective and hope Lewis understands. I just don't like the thought of his little face if the other mums and dads are there and we aren't :cry:

It is hard, luckily i also have a job where they are are understanding and let us take time to attend school activities, if not for any reason, i try and swap shifts - it is hard when you work but i agree with the others pick the best ones i.e christmas etc and possibly ask a family member to go to the ones you can make so there is a familiar face there for them x

p.s what annoyed me more was that they exclude younger siblings attending for a lot of things so if my husband wasnt off work (he works shifts) i couldnt attend things as i had my younger daughter to look after.

It is very hard... Only homework takes about two hours everyday... and if for some reason I miss it, I feel very quilty

It is hard, luckily i also have a job where they are are understanding and let us take time to attend school activities, if not for any reason, i try and swap shifts - it is hard when you work but i agree with the others pick the best ones i.e christmas etc and possibly ask a family member to go to the ones you can make so there is a familiar face there for them x

p.s what annoyed me more was that they exclude younger siblings attending for a lot of things so if my husband wasnt off work (he works shifts) i couldnt attend things as i had my younger daughter to look after.

to be fair i have been to several things where there were younger siblings there (Daniel's school tends not to exclude them) and it's been a nightmare. At every one i missed most of what was going on due to them crying or talking right the way through the whole thing. At the harvest service there were 3 children who were running around shouting through the whole thing. It upset quite a number of people.
BUt i do understand that it's hard if the younger siblings aren't allowed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->