Working parents of school kids - what do you do re childcare in school holidays?

Bevziibubble

Reaction score
I was wondering what working parents of school-age children do regarding childcare during the school holidays?
I'm a SAHM at the moment, but when LO starts school in a few years I will be finding a job, and my husband works full time.
What do other people do during the school holidays?? Obviously it's a while off yet, but I want to be prepared with what other options are out there.

Thank you in advance :)

I work part time but use a mixture of holiday (so I space my holiday out over the year at each school holiday) family help and School Holiday club

Holiday clubs are usually attached to schools, or I have a friend who is a CM and she does holiday care for the children she already does wraparound care for. I also have a number of friends who run a 'co-operative' kind of thing looking after each other's children on their days off. :shrug:

I'm a SAHM too but hubby is currently in teacher training so hopefully we won't have to worry about this.

In lucky as my mom and sister are both teachers so look after my lo in the holidays, however my friends children go to a holiday club which they love. I know a few child minders who also run holiday clubs so I guess people use a mixture of these options plus holidays from work. Its so difficult isn't it.

I currently have a 0 hour contract, so I work less hours in school holidays :flower:

I dint work currently but when I do return to work I will be looking at term time only.
My sil returned to work when her two were about 8 and 10. She only worked part time. My parents looked after the boys for the 2 1/2 days she worked
What I will say is that the boys hated it-they were dragged out of bed early and taken to my parents where they didn't have all the toys etc that they wanted to play with. They both got bored really easily as my parents couldn't afford to pay for things for them to do and if my brother and sil had paid for outings it would of meant she was working for nothing. Putting them in a holiday club would of also taken up most of her wages which is why my parents offered to look after them.

Our schools have clubs that run but they are not cheap. Thats why I got a school job so I get holidays off too :p

I use a holiday club. Its not attached to her school, found one next to my work so we can commute on the train together (very exciting :lol:)

It's expensive, but I cant not work. I've got 6 weeks holiday so i'll use them during the summer/oct half term.

It's tricky, especially being a single mum- but totally doable!

I'm not worried about the holidays so much- as I work for a bank, so they tend to coincide... but all the "in service" days off are ridiculous! I swear our oldest was out of school SO much more than I ever was?! Sometimes I really wish they would move to the 3mos on/1month off schedule. Or just say "come 4dys a week!" and call it good. Least we would have a set schedule that way. We have MIL to help when needed- but if not, then we'll pay for child-care, or the school offers before/after school care/activities- and I think those are also offered on in service days too? Although that was many moons ago with our oldest- who know what we may face once LO starts primary!?

Can I get a Nanny please?! LOL. Do they offer those 'On-Call'? hehe

Thought I'd just mention that places like boots do do a term time contract so I would imagine lots of other companies would do something similar x

That is good to know. I always thought jobs like that were hard to get unless you were a school teacher. I will bear that in mind! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->