Working tax credits question

GypsyDancer

Mummy to Zach <3
Reaction score
Please no horrible replies about scrounging off the goverment or anything :blush:

I recently posted a thread about leaving my job, Ive worked in the same place for 7 years and im really dreading going back, ive still not decided whats best to do but im due back in less than a month and as every day goes by im feeling more and more anxious about returning. I know deep down id be so much happier if i just handed in my notice (its only 2 weeks notice i have to give so i have time)

My OH's wage has just gone up although he's not on a massive income its a decent amount but we still get topped up with working tax credits (although this will go down now as he's had a pay rise..He works around 50 + hours a week i think..

I only earn £200 a month, and work around 7 hours a week, i know, pathetic hours but for us its best as my toddler has cystic fibrosis im very reluctant to put him into nursery at the moment, id much rather him be with me where i can keep an eye on him, make sure he's getting the right care and not constantly catching bugs from nursery ect..

So right now im really feeling like i dont want to return to my job :nope: Its not that i dont want to work, id love a career, and i know jobs are hard to come by, but im really struggling with anxiety and stress at the moment. I spoke to my hv who said if its causing me this much worry and we can afford it to leave..but can i really afford it??

At the moment my maternity allowance has ended, im down by around £200 a month at the moment. I can survive, i have enough for bills but not alot left over for much food ect. Im not complaining. I know things will be tight until i can get a proper job..My mums helping me out a little bit at the moment..

But what im wondering is if i do decide to leave my job, which is around £200 a month. Id be £200 a month worse off, would working tax credits make up for this..? Im not sure how it all works, i know the obvious answer is to ring them up but i also have anxiety about talking on the phone to strangers and try to avoid it at all costs :dohh:

It wont really change how i feel but im trying to look at it from all angles before i make a definite decision :wacko: Everybody keeps asking me when im back at work and what im doing with the boys, and when i tell them i really dont want to go back none of them understand how im feeling and keep ignoring me when i say i really dont want to go back :dohh:

My work has also emailed me asking if im still wanting to come back as i applied for another job (i didnt get it infact they were really rude to me and made me out to be stupid, yet another reason i dont want to return) Im feeling so pressured and suffocated by what everybody else thinks i should do.. :/

Well for one if any says ur scrounger here they ae just plain mean. I would of thought working tax will go up. Im sort of in same boat i am losing my esa even tho i cant work but ive been told working tax will go up as esa is a taxable benefit.

You don't need to justify yourself to anyone hun. Your best bet is to look at the hmrc tax credits calculator, put in your income for last year (they don't count the first £100 of MA a week) remember the calculator works out what you'd be entitled for the rest of the year, not a whole year so divide the amount by the amount of weeks left to see what you'd get a month. You can ring up and ask to go off this years I believe?

If you have a look at the entitled to website they have a calculator that tells you everything you might be entitled to as well as amounts x

On the direct.gov website there's a benefits advisor, it asks you loads of questions and then tells.you what you're entitled too xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->