Working up to EBF. Advice?

Perseids

Reaction score
My son was born at 36 weeks and had horrible jaundice so he had a very hard time latching on and eating in the beginning. Before we left the hospital the first time they had me supplementing with formula. It wasn't until he was about 4/5 weeks old that he started latching on. I've had a hard time building up my milk supply as a result. I just found out that my son has a suspected dairy sensitivity as well. I'd really like to work up to exclusively breastfeeding. Currently when I pump I only seem to get 1 oz total from both breasts combined. I've just started taking Fenugreek so I'm still waiting to see if that helps or not.

I feel like breastfeeding is the hardest part about having a new baby. It seems so easy when you hear about it but in reality it depends on so many factors that are out of your control.

Does anyone have any advice? Or, has anyone else experienced something similar?

We had to supplement for a few days because baby was jaundice and very sleepy. I would feed (or attempt to feed) for about 20 minutes then pump then bottle feed every 3 hours. It took about a week to be able go pump enough and drop the formula. I know the problem we ran into one time was that the nurses pressured me to give a pretty big formula feed and the he wouldn't wake to try to latch for hours! After that I found out the minimum volume he should be getting and only supplemented that much combined total bm and formula (not mixed). Once he got back up to birth weight and was latching better we stopped the supplementing and pumping altogether and just fed fed fed

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->