worried about going back to school..

lisaalove

Reaction score
Worried that when I go back to school it will end up being the end of us exclusively breastfeeding... I'm not ready for it to be the end though. :( I'll be in class for five hours and I don't know how or if I will get the time to pump and if I don't my supply will go and then we'll just be on formula. Anyone have any advice or positive stories?

Is your class 5 hours long? Or do you get a break in between?

I'm unsure honestly and that's why I'm worried. I'm going to call my counselor tomorrow and double check.

Not exactly the same situation, but I'm a teacher and I went back to work when my first baby was almost five months. I kept her ebf until six months, and on my milk until she turned one. This is what my routine looked like at five months:

6:00am Feed on one side, pump the other
12:00pm Lunchtime at work. Pump both sides (if possible, sometimes I didn't respond well to the pupump)
4:30pmish At home. Feed on one side, pump the other.
Continue to feed on demand until bedtime.
7:00pm Bedtime. Feed, then pump both breasts

I was able to express enough milk for the next day, plus some for the freezer (by 7 months I was able to stop expressing at work, and by ten months I could stop expressing entirely). My lunchtime pumping session was only 15-20 minutes, because other people needed access to the stock cupboard (the only place with a lock!)

So. It is doable. If you want anymore of my anecdotal advice, I'm happy to help!

I have a freezer stash built up I just don't know how long it will last for and I plan on pumping as much as I can while I'm away from him because with my first I had supply issues and honestly I'm afraid that once I'm not ebf on demand my supply will dwindle not to mention he will be 5 weeks when I start school. Though it's only three days a week with driving that's almost 7 hours I'll be away from him. I'm just worried because I'm so happy it's been going well this time and I don't want to mess that up.

I would assume that your class won't go 5 hours without a break, so I would just pump during the break. I used to pump during the 10 minute break I had in a 3 hour class and it was rushed, but it helped with engorgement and gave me a little bit of milk to take home for the next day. I successfully gave my LO breastmilk while going to school until she was 15 months old and started drinking cow's milk when I was gone instead. It's a bit tricky to get used to all of the pumping and figuring out when you can get it done, but you'll figure something out. :)

When I went back to work I only pumped one time a day during 10 hour period and it didn't effect me for a long time. I think as long as you keep it up at the other times that you would be okay. Good luck!

You could get a hands free bra and pump in the car both ways as well as if there is a break. I would be really worried about plugged ducts /mastitis going so long between feeds

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->