• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Worried about toxoplasmosis! so upset!!

younglove

Cautiously Pregnant
Reaction score
At my in-laws tonight they served me beef. They eat theirs rare (raw or "blue" really). I asked for mine to be fully cooked. I took a few bites and noticed that it was semi-pink. It turns out it was from the same roast as theirs! The meat from the middle of the roast was rare and completely bloody!!

My piece looked medium-to-well done because it was an end piece. But it was cut from the same roast so there's a good chance of cross-contamination since the roast was raw in the middle (with blood all over their plates). My beef was on a separate plate so I didn't realize until it was too late.

I only took a few bites but I'm incredibly worried about contracting toxoplasmosis. :( there's nothing I can do now :cry:

I eat rare beef all the time. Hell, the other day I ate raw springbok. If the meat is from a reputable source its fine.

Thanks for the response. Outside of pregnancy I don't normally eat very much meat (and when I do it's really well done), and so I didn't realize that eating raw/rare meat was common.

I think I'm overreacting I just have had a complicated pregnancy and a previous loss so I'm so afraid that something will affect this pregnancy.

I think I'm overreacting I just have had a complicated pregnancy and a previous loss so I'm so afraid that something will affect this pregnancy. I'm still worried though.

Thanks for the responses. I don't normally eat very much meat (and when I do it's really well done). I didn't realize that eating raw/rare meat was common.

I wouldn't worry too much. I believe the 'rules' changed not so long ago re: undercooked meat and before that the guidance was that it was fine to eat as long as the outside was seared. It sounds like your piece was fairly well cooked so I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine. I know how unnerving it can be when you think you've eaten something wrong though. I've eaten mouldy bread twice and had a right panic!

Stop worrying! As the PP said, as long as the outside of the beef is cooked, its all fine. :thumbup:
Only goes for beef though - don't try it with pork or chicken :haha:

I agree, take it easy. I had a couple of soft poached eggs at work before remembering they're supposed to be hard :dohh: But things are fine. your piece was cooked, and it's a one off. Think about all the women in countries who commonly eat those sorts of food who are fine - women in Japan eat sushi all through pregnancy and they're still popping out perfectly healthy babies :thumbup:

:hugs: It's fine to worry! I started off my pregnancy terrified of this. I'd eaten raw eggs and very rare steaks until I finally got my BFP all late and wrong. Then, I had some "medium-rare" GROUND BEEF (ugh, not much better than eating raw chicken if you ask me) by accident by biting into a burger that I DID NOT realize wasn't "well done" when I asked for it to be.

Red meat is fine provided it was prepared properly etc etc. I've eaten pink centered meat this entire pregnancy and have been perfectly fine, little man is a right beast! Also eaten eggs with runny yolks, licked cake batter off spoons etc etc

I had the same scare - had an appetizer that was raw antelope inside! However there is a good chance you have already been exposed if you eat rare meat, ever had unwashed fruits or vegetables from a garden, or have cats and it's only acute infection that affects the baby.

Your situation is not bad at all! Your meat was cooked and since it was an end piece, it was probably cut first before the knife got to the bloody center?

There is a also a very high chance the meat was not contaminated in the first place! So between your probable previous exposure - only a trace on a knife vs actually eating hunks of meat - meat probably not containing toxoplasmosis - I would try to relax!

You can get a blood test to check for acute infection if you want to ease your mind. I had mine checked for lead after we had our windows replaced and our living room floor tested high afterwards. I think everyone thought I was nuts, but I just needed to know I hadn't inhaled or ingested any so I could stop googling the problems my baby was going to have, lol.

You'll be fine! I still eat semi pink meat, and have done with all my pregnancies. It's either only just cooked through ( so all brown but only just. ) or it still has a thin pink strip in the middle. I've never gotten sick from meat and generally always eat mine medium.
I got salmonella poisoning from an egg and lettuce sandwich at the very beginning of this pregnancy ( before I knew I was pregnant ) had extreme diarrhea for 3 weeks and bubs absolutely fine. I also am the only one that changes my cats litter tray. ( never got sick from that )
Try not to stress x

I agree, it's ok to be concerned but certainly don't stress to hard over it. Put it all in context! Are you going to eat MacD's or any other fast food that's got a decent likelihood of giving you food poisoning in your next 9 months? If so then don't stress over a home or restaurant cooked roast. You're much safer with a med rare roast than MacD's specialty quick serve pink slim beef.

Japanese women eat sushi all the time while pregnant and laugh at how silly we are about our restrictions. Just try your best to do what fits with your paradigm of healthy eating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->