Worried DD isn't gaining enough

DebbieF

Reaction score
I am worried my almost 3 month old is not gaining enough weight.. Please take a look at her chart and tell me if her slow weight gain is something I should be worrying about.. Should I top her off with formula? Please share your thoughts.

(She was born on Dec 10 @ 7lb 13 oz)
Jan 25- 9lb 12oz
Jan 28- 9lb 14oz
Jan 31- 9lb 15.5oz
Feb 3- 10lb 4oz
Feb 7- 10lb 4oz
Feb 10- 10lb 8.5 oz
Feb 14- 10lb 8.5oz
Feb 18- 10lb 12.5oz
Feb 21- 10lb 14oz
Feb 25- 10lb 15.5oz
Feb 28- 11lb 1oz
Mar 3- 11lb 1oz

Did they tell you what percentile she was in at your 2 month check-up? Mine was 7lb 5 oz at birth and just weighed in at 10lb 3oz for her 2 month and she is in the 30th percentile for weight. The doc said this was fine since she has been growing at a steady rate. I think 11lb 1oz seems like it might be a hair on the low end but nothing too extreme... She looks like at 2 months she was right about where my DD was. :shrug:

As long as LO is gaining I'm sure everything is fine, I think the health visitor may have mentioned something if they were concerned.

My LO was born 12/12/13 weighing 7.4lb went down to 6.10lb regained weight & struggled around 7.4lb for a few weeks. LO then began to gain 4oz on average a week. LO now weighs 8.9lb. I am topping up with a little formula purely for weight gain, although doctors have done all checks & are happy with LO.

If you do have any concerns speak to a doctor to put your mind at ease.

OP is in the US so they don't have health visitors there. It's not advisable to weigh so often, new guidelines based on WHO recommendations are that babies are only gained 1x a month. Looks like your LO has slow but overall steady weight gain so nothing to worry about. My eldest was a very slight petite gainer throughout his first year, he then became tall and chunky as a toddler and is still on the stocky side now at the age of nearly ten though he is only 50th centile in weight for age and about 44th on the new BMI calculator they have for kids here, so not physically overweight. My next two were both huge gainers in the first few months but then had growth and weight gain problems after that and are both now very slim looking as kids though again they are both on the middle of the charts. I'm waffling a bit but what I'm trying to say is most kiddos even out in the end xx

Her weight gain looks fine to me. As long as she is gaining then there is nothing to worry about.

https://pediatrics.about.com/cs/growthcharts2/l/blgirlsbirth.htm

I would just check your LO weight monthly and not weekly.
She sounds fine to me though. Its not just weight that matters. Milestones and if your LO seems happy matter as well.

https://pediatrics.about.com/cs/growthcharts2/l/blgirlsbirth.htm

I would just check your LO weight monthly and not weekly.
She sounds fine to me though. Its not just weight that matters. Milestones and if your LO seems happy matter as well.

Thanks, she is very happy (smiles ALL of the time) and is reaching her milestones. I just worry when I look @ the scale and see the numbers not rising. I think I will stop weighing her so much, it just causes me too much stress..

If she is content and giving out regular wet nappies and duty nappies I wouldn't worry. I'm not an expert at all but I would imagine she would let you know if she wasn't getting enough, also, I'm sure your HV would let you know she isn't getting enough but you could always go in for a chat about it if it is worrying you x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->