Worried my Home Water Birth plan may be ruined if I am induced! - Induction Question

Jayneypops

Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses
Reaction score
Hi,

I am 39 weeks +3 and my MW has said that next week (at 40 weeks) we will discuss Induction. I am really worried that this may be a possibility as I do have a fear of hospitals and of induced labour (my SIL had one and was in quite a lot of pain due to not being able to move from the bed, stronger contractions etc)

I have planned my HWB down to the last detail and although I know babies are unpredictable and dont always play ball, I love the idea of a calm, hypnobirthing HWB so much. A hospital with bright lights, monitors, and being stuck to the bed is my idea of hell!!! :nope:

Anyway, I am wondering, if I am given the pessary and it works, can I still have a home birth, or does that form of induction usually need monitoring too?

Has anyone got any ideas for me to get baby moving so it dosnt come to induction!!? (Have tried sex, spicy food and acupressure so far - all I got was a few period like cramps but nothing happened)

Wish baby would make an appearance :(

I don't think you will be able to have a home birth even with just a pessary, but if there is a birth centre in your hospital, you might be able to negotiate a natural birth there....
Also, you don't have to agree to an induction at all. Remember that until you go over 42 weeks, you don't have an overdue baby........

You don't have to have an induction. I told my midwife I wouldn't have one until we reached 42 weeks and even then I was only willing to discuss it, I would have requested fetal monitoring.

They want to discuss induction at 40 weeks, but you still have plenty of time!! Like someone else said, the baby isn't "overdue" until 42 weeks and risks don't start to go up until then. At about 40 + 5 I went in for monitoring so they could check how much amniotic fluid I had left, and it wasn't much at all, but it was enough for them to send me home (I could have been induced if I wanted to, but I didn't) and I went into labor at exactly 41 weeks. All the women in my family have gone to 41-42 weeks in every pregnancy, so don't get freaked out or impatient at 40 weeks just because that is your "due date"

You don't HAVE to be induced. But if you AGREE to be then you will be strongly advised to have monitoring as any induction carries a high risk of fetal distress. You can tell yr Mw at your 40 wk appt you don't want to discuss induction until the week after. At the risk of repeating myself. NOTHING. IS. COMPULSORY. EVER.

Why are you talking about induction so early? 40 weeks is an average, not a limit. You might still have a few weeks to go after that.

Im not sure why she wants to discuss it at 40 weeks - it may just be so that Im informed in advance. She did mention a couple of weeks ago that she usually does sweeps in the 41st week if baby hasn't made an appearance, but that its my decision.

Having thought about it for a few days now, I think I am going to tell her that I dont want to be induced unless there is a medical emergency i.e. baby becoming distressed etc.
I trust my body to do what is right, and if that means baby wont be ready until 42 weeks + then so be it! I know Ill have weekly apts with my MW from now on so as long as baby seems ok, Im going to stick to my guns!

Thanks ladies

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->