Worried, please help- GD Question

Kylarsmom

3 amazing kiddos!
Reaction score
I have gestational diabetes, I'm only 8 weeks pregnant. I had it with my son and they tested me for it at 6 weeks. Failed. So took the 3 hour test at 7 weeks. Failed. Had my class for it today and got my meter. Im really worried bc usually you get it later on in pregnancy, and the biggest risk for the baby is being too big and underdeveloped lungs. Well I learned today that if you have diabetes already OR get it early in pregnancy, since so much is just developing, it can cause deformities. =( I am not sure really about anything other than that, maybe its only if your diabetes is out of control, idk, but it has me so worried. I asked the dietician if I should worry and she didnt really answer my question. Not really the reassurance I was looking for. Now that I know I am eating well and controlling it, mostly what I'm worried about is what I've done the last 8 weeks if it could of caused harm... Any help would be appreciated .

Hi, I have type 1 diabetes so also have it from the time I conceive. This is my second pregnancy and even with HBa1cs that were a bit high before I got pregnant (an HbA1c measures your average blood glucose for the past 3 months) both my babies are healthy. You cannot fix what has aleredy happened so from here on out you must just do the best you can to get it controlled - what meds are you on?

You have about 4 weeks til your 12 week scan at which time you should get some reassurance about baby's development. The chances of abnormalities are increased for diabetics, but you need to take it in context - a 1:100 risk may become a 3:100 risk which sounds bad when you say it is 3 times more likely, but there is a still a 97% chance that everything will be perfectly normal and that is a good chance! At 20 weeks you should have a level 2 ultrasound if you are worried so that they can check well for any abnormalities - again while your risks are slightly higher in the greater scheme of things your chance of having a perfectly healthy baby is very very high.

One more warning - many diabetics struglle with low sugar levels when pregnant in the first trimester from about 8-14 weeks pregnancy. I am not sure if this applies to GDs but keep an eye out and if you feel funny make sure someone gives you instructions on how to cope with hypoglycaemia (low sugars) as well as the highs of normal diabetes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->