Worried (tmi hemorrhoid question!)

surprisepreg

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I had a successful pregbancy in 2010 but then a blighted ovum in March and a chemical pregnancy in June of this year.

I am now pregnant again and find myself worrying often about things. I will be 5 weeks tomorrow so very early still.

I have issues with Hemorrhoids since my 2010 pregnancy. I have found the only thing that works well during a flair up is hemorrhoid cooling gel that contains phenylephrine HCI 0.25% and witch hazel (50%). I have been experiencing a flare up for the last week… And have occasionally used this cooling gel- maybe 2 or 3 times total. I did not realize it had the phenylephrine in it until yesterday (after using it!). I looked it up and am concerned because I read it can cause birth defects and is not recommend in the first 14 weeks of pregnancy. However, most of the sites I found were referring to it in a cold medicine form? I assume it is not safe to continue using and am trying to figure out something else that really works (thoughts?) but in the meantime, does anyone know if me using it rectally recently will be harmful to my developing baby? I will obviously ask the doctor when I go in… But I do not have an appointment yet as I am so early. My first appointment will likely be between seven and eight weeks.

Thanks in advance!

Laura

Dear Laura,

I don't know much about that ingredient. But i do know that certain medicines can be absorbed through mucous membranes, including your bum. But I'm no doctor...

I also get hemorrhoids ever since my pregnancy. They product I've been using since I got pregnant again is Thayers witch hazel pads. I'm not sure what % witch hazel they contain but I do believe they have aloe and feel cool when using them. I seriously swear by them. I just wipe after going to the bathroom. I use them proactivly and out seems to be doing the trick. My hemorrhoids were beyond painful after birth, like worst physical pain of my life.

I've also noticed more pain when I wear high heels. So when they are flaring up, I wear flats only. It seems to work, or at least not make things worse. Have you made this connection? O think it had something to do with pressure and alignment.

Other things that I've tried are sitz baths, although that was at the hospital, I don't have one at home. It felt good though.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"