Would I be crazy to TTC??

Daisy Delayne

Reaction score
I just got out of school a few months ago, have a job I love but we're about $40,000 in debt (good debt, mostly student loans) we're paying it off gradually but it'll take a few years. I'm nearing my '30's and more and more I'm wanting to try for a baby. I only make about $24,000/year and he makes less (part-time). Be honest, do you think a baby would be impossible/ stupid in my situation??

IMO, no ones ever really ready financially. I know I'm not but I am trying. I know friends who have made things work out making less then that. Just might have to budget allot better and have like 5 baby showers to get lots of things from out of town family heehee

Your state might have programs for helping in health care and food like healthy families and WIC. Not sure that helps....

I think it's up to you. If you feel like you could cope, then go for it. If you have doubts, maybe set a date (maybe in 3, 6, 9, 12 months) to talk and think about it again and see if you feel any more ready and comfortable to start TTC. :)

I agree that no one is ever ready financially, unless they are living an amazing life with lots of money. Babies aren't cheap, and I know I personally couldn't do it making the amount you are living off of, but that is just me. Only you and your significant other can make that choice. There are things like WIC and state help, but I opt out of trying to get any of that.. it's not for me, but if it's a decision you want, then you should probably go for it.

I am in your same situation. I'm 27 (almost 28) and between my husband and I we had over $120K in student loans. We have been working really, really hard to pay them off over the past 5 years and have the amount down to $40K.

What has helped us in the baby decision is making a spreadsheet with all of our expenses and our income. That made us realize that it was way more practical to wait a few years before having a baby and pay off our loans, then to have our budget streched so tight that life and rasing a child would be very hard. (Keep in mind that the number one reason for couples fight is money.)

One thing to think about is will one of you stay home with the baby and if so, can you survive on one income? If both of you plan on working will you have to pay for daycare?

We are 11 months from paying off all of our loans, and it has been a long, hard road, but very much worth it. It has been so hard seeing everybody else being pregnant and having babies, but in the end I know that we made the right decision. And when we have met our finically goals, bringing a child into this world will just be that much more sweeter and enjoyable.

Do a budget on excel, as mkgs says and find out what you can afford.

Remembering, will you have to use daycare? What about maternity leave?

Me and my fiance have hardly any money, but we get by. You've just got to have a stong head and not spend on things that arent needed.
Women in Africa mangage to have babies and look how poor they are.
If its what you want, i would say go for it. You will manage. :)

Hubby and i bring in about 24 grand a year....and manage to get by with soon to be 4 children. It just takes lots of planning and budgetting. I never buy new clothes, but as good as from carbootsales and charity shops, I budget our weekly shop and meal plan to keep the price low (we pay about 60-70 a week for all 5 of us) i begin saving as soon as one christmas is finished, for the next one and birthdays...yes we dont have much spare for treats but the kids always have cracking birthdays with lots of presents, a fab christmas and the kids love the beach, parks and visiting family. If we can do it with 4, it should be relatively easy with one :D

We also have debt, but ours is from a failed business of my husbands, about 17K. We are on a debt management plan that we pay off monthly and will finish in 2015.

all i can say is thank god for primark:rofl:

and if you feel ready id go for it, whats money at the end of the day as long as your happy. i dont think there will ever be a perfect time to have a baby in anyones life.:flower:

our kids are close in age ricschick, my summer is 4 years 4 months, elsie is 3 years 1 month 5 days i think (born 25/06/06) and mason is just turning 10 months! Nice to see someone as busy as me :D

I agree with the girls that said only you and your significant other can decide what would be best for y'all.

If it'll help put your mind at ease a bit about financial issues, start up a savings account and set a certain amount to put in it every week or month or however you want to do it. Should you decide to TTC at least you know you'll have some money to fall back on if you need it. My boyfriend and I have been doing this with our apartment stuff, so I think it'd work really well for you and OH on the baby stuff.

Like the other girls have said, fdoing a spread sheet will help see where your money is going, but at the end of the day its up to you and OH x

our kids are close in age ricschick, my summer is 4 years 4 months, elsie is 3 years 1 month 5 days i think (born 25/06/06) and mason is just turning 10 months! Nice to see someone as busy as me :D

omg there
pretty much the same age emmas birthday is the 27/06/06! so elsie is 2 days older! yeah its good to see somebody else with the same age children but ive got some catching up to do you've got no 4 cooking already!lol:happydance:

When I got pregnant I was living at home with my mum and not living with OH. Since LO was born we've bought a car, a house, and bought everything for the house and for LO. Neither of us have great paying jobs but we manage. Aslong as you can provide the basics like food, shelter, clothes, a few toys, somewhere to sleep etc etc and don't mind doing without luxuries then I'd say no, you're not crazy.

Good luck with whatever you decide X

omg there
pretty much the same age emmas birthday is the 27/06/06! so elsie is 2 days older! yeah its good to see somebody else with the same age children but ive got some catching up to do you've got no 4 cooking already!lol:happydance:

Awww elsies due date was the 28th but she decided to come a bit earlier. I was kind of clad it wasnt the 26/06/06 too many 6's in that date of birth! We werent going to have anumber 4, but after a suprise and miscarriage, we decided to go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->