Would my newborn be immune to chickenpox if I have had it?

missy1

Reaction score
My due date is in 3 and a half weeks. I also have a 2 year old child. There has been an outbreak of chickenpox in our area including both my next door neighbours children who my daughter had been playing with up until they realised they had chickenpox when the rash appeared.
I know that chickenpox is contagious before the spots appear so my daughter may have been exposed and I think the incubation period is 10-14 days.
My worry is that if my daughter gets it then my newborn may get it and its dangerous for newborns. Do you think that if the mother is immune to it then the newborn baby may have some immunity? I had chickenpox when i was 13. Thanks for any replies

If you're breast feeding the baby would likely get your antibodies. I would ask the pediatrician though.

Unfortunately no, my dd was going through the same thing and my doc wanted me and the baby to stay away from DD. DH had to take some time off work. Antibodies do go through breastmilk, but chicken pox is a more serious infection and it won't be enough to stop it. Do they not have the chicken pox vaccine in the UK?
DD was exposed but never contracted it, so we got her vaccinated as soon as it happened.

I dont think so. I think the only way your baby can be immune to those sort of diseases is if you have a vaccine while pregnant to prevent it. Obviously im no expert so maybe ask your midwife or whoever you see next :) x

No, they don't get immunity to it, which is why your LO will probably get it too! No easy answer really, just a case of wait and see if they get it... Fingers crossed they wont so your newborn wont be exposed! x

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully she won't get it. If she does I will speak to the doc x

Nope, my mother breast fed my brother and I and we both had it s she did.

No, because no one really has an immunity. You could get it even if you'd had it before because the virus cadapts and changes to cells in the body. However you are less likely to get it a second time because the original virus never leaves your system - it retreats to the spinal fluid in lower back so it is always present in your body.

When my son was born his brothers and sister all had the chicken pox. My midwife said that because I was immune, he would have immunity from me. Babies have immunity from mums for at least a month after birth. However, I would check with yhour m/w to be on the safe side. :thumbup:

When my son was born his brothers and sister all had the chicken pox. My midwife said that because I was immune, he would have immunity from me. Babies have immunity from mums for at least a month after birth. However, I would check with yhour m/w to be on the safe side. :thumbup:
I thought that was the case MumofPlenty. Thanks for reassurance. Hopefully she won't get it but I'll ask midwife at next appointment. Thanks

No, because no one really has an immunity. You could get it even if you'd had it before because the virus cadapts and changes to cells in the body. However you are less likely to get it a second time because the original virus never leaves your system - it retreats to the spinal fluid in lower back so it is always present in your body.

That is not how it works at all. They have a vaccine because your body remembers it and creates antibodies to fight off the infection quickly the next time you are exposed. If the mother had it earlier in life they would make the antibodies when exposed again and could pass them on in breastmilk. The baby would not get the lifetime immunity that you normally get from catching the disease (wouldn't produce it's own antibodies later on), but could be protected from catching it for now. I would still check with the pediatrician to make sure, but babies do get protection from infections through their maternal antibodies and is one of the big benefits of breastfeeding.

I have found this information below on the NHS website as there is so much conflicting advice. It seems that babies do have some immunity passed through the placenta for the first few weeks of their life, this of course is if the mother has had chickenpox before. This will last a bit longer through breastfeeding. I may see if its possible for my baby to get some colostrum those first few days but I won't be exclusively breast feeding after that

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/939.aspx?categoryid=54&subcategoryid=135

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->