Would this be garish?

prettybirdy27

Reaction score
Tonight I'm participating in a relay where you walk around a track to raise money for cancer research.

You get a t-shirt to wear for it, but my t-shirt pretty much hides my bump entirely. Would it be garish for me to write "Future Relayer" on my tummy with an arrow pointing down?

ps I'm planning to take it easy with the walking tonight. This is the 11th year I've done Relay so I know what to expect, and I'll make sure to not strain myself with the baby :thumbup:

The only worry I would have is if there are people attending who's treatment have left them infertile or problems conceiving it could be insensitive

The only worry I would have is if there are people attending who's treatment have left them infertile or problems conceiving it could be insensitive

I respectfully disagree, it's a cancer relay, I could see what you're saying if it was specifically a relay for something related to infertility but we shouldn't have to hide our joy in being pregnant because others have struggled, believe me I think there are definitely a lot of women who could benefit from learning how to be a little more sensitive and tactful regarding other women's losses/infertility issues but I don't think this is something where she needs to worry about being offensive.

Thanks everyone, I ended up not doing it since I just plain ran out of time. And ultimately, whether people would be offended about seeing it if they had gone through treatments that left them infertile - I ultimately decided that this event was about cancer and not about me and my bump anyway.

At any rate, it was a huge success and over $187,000 was raised for the American Cancer Society!

I respectfully disagree, it's a cancer relay, I could see what you're saying if it was specifically a relay for something related to infertility but we shouldn't have to hide our joy in being pregnant because others have struggled, believe me I think there are definitely a lot of women who could benefit from learning how to be a little more sensitive and tactful regarding other women's losses/infertility issues but I don't think this is something where she needs to worry about being offensive.

Indeed, it's a cancer relay. And chemo can cause all sorts of issues with fertility. A woman around here has not long undergone 3 months of treatment and is now, at 24 years old, unable to have her own children because of it.

There's a time and place - I don't think a cancer relay is that place.

Congrats for completing it prettybirdy :thumbup: I done a sky dive for a lung cancer charity a couple of years ago, it was a great feeling knowing I was doing something to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->