Would u use the name....

MUMOF5

Now a mum of 6!
Reaction score
If it was the name of your cousins child?

I'm really liking the name Darcy, however my cousin has an 8 year old daughter called this. We aren't particularly close, but I do meet up with her and my aunt every couple of months for coffee and a catch up. When she was pregnant with her last baby she did ask me if I'd mind if she used my sons name if she had a boy, which I didn't (she ended up having another girl).

I quite liked the name Dolcie which I think was because it was similar to Darcy but doesn't quite hit the mark for me.

Would you ask her and use the name or dismiss it and find a different name? Xx

I wouldn't, but I know people who have!

I personally wouldn't but only because I try and pick a name no one else in the area has. I want my kids to be the only ones of their name that they'll know... If that's not something you're bothered about then ask and see if your cousin minds. We all know how hard it is to find a name we love so I don't see why she'd mind

I sure would. I don't see cousins as close relatives though, I've barely met the ones I have on my fathers side and the one I have on my mothers side is only 6 :).

My son has the same name as my OH's cousins son.

I wouldn't. We struggled with this when naming our LO as my cousin had already used Anna which was one of my favourite girls names, and my other favourite was Emma which my DH's cousin ended up using right before we found out we were having a girl.

I did seriously consider it and we almost went with Anna in the end but ultimately it just didn't feel quite right, I wanted something that wasn't already in the family (even though I don't see my cousin/her kids that often).

My DH has two cousins named Sarah and it actually ended up being so confusing for them as kids (which they hadn't expected obviously before naming the second one!) that the younger Sarah ended up going by her middle name whenever they were together and it completely stuck even when she wasn't around the other Sarah. Now she's 20 and still goes by her middle name with everyone.

I definitely wouldn't mind using it--especially since it seems (since she asked about using your son's name) that she wouldn't have a problem with it. : ) Repeated names don't bother me, as long as no one gets hurt feelings over it. : )

I would use it. My cousin has an Ellie and our daughter is Eleanor

Personally I wouldn't but then I also like to use names that I know no other kid by irl.
We had a family member do it to us (a pretty close one) and I do find it a bit odd and kind of annoying tbh.

I think as your cousin had asked you the same though that it maybe different, I can't see why she would have a problem with it if she was prepared to do the same :)

Firstly I love the name darcy it's my number 1 girls name but my oh hates it.. Anyway if you love the name then yes I'd go for it. As you say your not massively close and she was prepared to use your name with no problems so I think you'll be fine. A good friend of mine sat me down once and told me her favourite girls name was Evie and would I mind if she used it if her baby was a girl I said of course I wouldn't mind!! I kind of think it's a good thing that she loved my daughters name so much she wanted it too. She had a boy but if she ever has a girl I'm sure that'll be the name.
Remember this is your baby, name your baby what you want! X

If it was the name of your cousins child?

I'm really liking the name Darcy, however my cousin has an 8 year old daughter called this. We aren't particularly close, but I do meet up with her and my aunt every couple of months for coffee and a catch up. When she was pregnant with her last baby she did ask me if I'd mind if she used my sons name if she had a boy, which I didn't (she ended up having another girl).

I quite liked the name Dolcie which I think was because it was similar to Darcy but doesn't quite hit the mark for me.

Would you ask her and use the name or dismiss it and find a different name? Xx

I would just be honest with her and ask her straight up front. If she was thinking of using your sons name, than in sure she won't mind you using her daughters name.

I wouldn't, but only because I wouldn't want my LO to share with a family member they see. But if that' not a concern to you I'd definitely go for it, especially as your cousin was considering using your DS's name, so I'm sure she won't mind! I love both Darcy and Dolice btw :)

Yes, and I have. Amy is my cousins daughter, and I named my own child it. Doesn't bother me or put me off in the slightest.
Id also never ask 'permission' to use it. Nope, my child- I don't need anyone's blessing lol x

We're kind of in the same boat. My favorite girls name this go around is Reese and it's been on our baby name list since we had our daughter Riley. I think the names go really well together, and I'd like to use it for our baby girl that is due in Nov. The problem is, my DH's step-sister used Reese for her daughters middle name. We don't like telling anyone our name choices before the baby is born, so I'm not going to ask her if she'd be okay with it. I just don't know what to do....:shrug:

We're kind of in the same boat. My favorite girls name this go around is Reese and it's been on our baby name list since we had our daughter Riley. I think the names go really well together, and I'd like to use it for our baby girl that is due in Nov. The problem is, my DH's step-sister used Reese for her daughters middle name. We don't like telling anyone our name choices before the baby is born, so I'm not going to ask her if she'd be okay with it. I just don't know what to do....:shrug:

I think if it's a middle name then thats fine, I agree it goes very well with your other daughters name. Congrats on your pink bump, we found out today that our bump is pink and also due in November 💕

I think if it's a middle name then thats fine, I agree it goes very well with your other daughters name. Congrats on your pink bump, we found out today that our bump is pink and also due in November 💕

Congrats on your pink bump!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->