Would you buy a second hand mattress?

Boomerslady

Reaction score
I've got a feeling a lot of people will say no way but just curious! All the furniture in my flat is second hand, including bed and mattress but I was lucky as I worked for a second hand furniture store I spoke to the lady who donated it, and it was in her spare room, with a mattress protector and was slept on max 10 times. So I got a super king divan, mattress and metal headboard for £275 in amazing condition.

I'm about to get Ben his first proper bed and in all honesty I can't afford a new mattress. Cheapest one I've found is around £75, and i reckon it'll be springy etc. With the bed and duvet, covers, wall stickers etc its just not going to happen.

I was thinking of going back to where I used to work (dreading it!!) to see if they have any decent ones in, would usually be £50 for a very good quality one (they don't take any with marks) and I'd put a protector on. I'm just not sure because its for him iykwim and I won't know the background!!

LO has a 2nd hand one. i borrowed my sisters vax carpet cleaner & used that (the attachment hose) to clean it, then sprayed with loads of detol & let it dry out. shes got a mattress protector & a matress topper on.. then her sheet etc.

there is no way i could of got her a new one..

this one was only slept on 10-15 times as was a spare, there were no marks on it either. xx

Id have no issue with it. You can tell pretty easily if a mattress is in good condition and can clean them easily.

We grew up with secondhand mattresses--we couldn't afford anything that wasn't. I think my mom just spot cleaned them with vinegar and water.

Thanks so much, that's put my mind at ease. From working in the shop I heard a lot of derogatory comments about buying second hand mattresses. I definately think that's the way to go, even more so they give 20% off if you get any type of benefit so it should be cheap. Will just have to deal with seeing the boss from hell :(

Those that have mattress toppers, are they worth it? I saw one for half price in Argos with a duvet and pillows too so I'm wondering if its worth the extra £15 to get a topper.

I personally haven't ever bought one but I've lived in plenty of rented houses with old mattresses, so in theory yeah I think it's fine, I'd use one for me or my child. I think PP is right, you can tell if it's ok condition or not, so just don't settle for a heap of junk and you should be fine! People can be snobs about that sort of thing, it's ridiculous. We can't all afford to buy everything new!! I haven't used a mattress topper but I think they are supposed to be good. x

I was going to say no but then I realised Ive lived in shares flats that were furnished so in theory yes I was using a second hand mattress. Its no different to a mattress on holiday is it?

I wouldn't, but then I have never had to iykwim so you never know

I don't think that means I am a snob?

I wouldn't, but then I have never had to iykwim so you never know

I don't think that means I am a snob?

No it doesn't at all, but OP said she heard a lot of derogatory comments about it. x

I don't think I'd buy one secondhand but I've had them off relatives secondhand. The one I have atm was my auntie's and it is so old it's soooo uncomfortable! But I can't afford a new one :lol:
I sold a bed and mattress when I moved back in with my mam a few years back (it was only about 8 weeks old in fairness) but I didn't think anything of the people buying it.

I would use a secondhand one off family or friends where I knew it had come from, have you got a B&M near you? They sell mattresses, or try shopping around online, you may get one for £50 x

Also keep a look out for sites such as wowcher and groupon, they do amazing deals on mattresses x

Thanks everyone. I don't feel so bad now. Ill check out those sites Danielle as getting a second hand one is obviously dependant of what's in stock when I go in.

Suzi no I don't think that makes you a snob at all, I'd buy new if I could! Just u know some people can be and obviously your not saying how filthy it is!! Honestly some of the comments I heard were just shocking!!

Personally I wouldn't but I've never been in the situation where one was needed on little money if you get what I mean. I'm in the process of buying new beds for my two and mattresses are cheap on ebay, have you had a look? I don't think there's anything wrong or bad about people buying 2nd hand mattresses though xx

https://www.mattressonline.co.uk/Shop/Mattresses-C136/Mattress-Delivered-Next-Day-C137/

Some of these look good quality at decent prices too, you can always put the mattress topper on too which you was looking at doing to make more comfortable x

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/furniture/mattresses

B&M mattresses

I personally wouldn’t if I could avoid it, I am happy to buy lots of second hand things but I always buy our beds new. It’s just what I’ve always done, however, it’s funny when you think about the fact we stay in hotels, friends’ houses, kids sleep in shared cots in nurseries etc and I wouldn’t think anything of it! Oh and actually I remember we lived in a furnished flat once and didn’t think twice that the mattress was with the flat lol. I would probably use a mattress protector but yeah if the choice is a brand new but cheaper springy mattress over a second hand better quality mattress the second hand makes sense! I’m guessing you probably use a mattress protector with a toddler anyway? If you’re happy with where it came from I don’t see any issue :flower:

I did as a student it was fine. I wouldn't now as we had the money to buy new. But I'm not against it in theory you can generally tell whether its been abused or not

If it was a choice between cheap new mattress or good quality second hand mattress I'd chose 2nd hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->