Would you buy much for your 5 month old?

Sarah Lou 80

Reaction score
My DD will be 5 months old at Christmas. I'm unsure what to do for a present.

Do I buy a 'main' present? Or buy practical things such as clothes and leave the toys for others to buy. Put money in her bank account instead?

I feel guilty for thinking that I could save a bit of money by not going too mad on buying for her at an age where she won't remember/understand.

Any thoughts?

Not mean at all. Ds1 was around that age his first Christmas. We wrapped for him mainly clothes and books. Even remember rewrapping some gifts we got when he was born (too young for then) just so would have some photos to show when he was older!

I had a four month old last Christmas and no I didn't buy much at all. I wrapped up some clothes for her and a few little rattles just so that her brothers wouldn't think Santa had forgotten her but other people bought her gifts too. Like you say they don't remember or understand, they aren't interested in opening presents so I'd say definitely money in an account is better idea xx

DD2 has the perfect timed birthday in June (6 months between xmas/bday). So I'm buying her things to last until her birthday so anything 6-12 months then do the same for her birthday up to Christmas.

DD1 was 2 months on her 1st Christmas, and I bought her a swing, rattles and musical bits. Mum bought her a projector cot mobile, sisters bought clothes, rattles, cuddly toys etc :)

Don't feel bad about saving money - do it while you can. There will be plenty of years to come that her letters to Santa will be pages long!! I always love giving my kids books - always easy to find something age appropriate at good price. Something to chew perhaps as teething may start soon (if not already) and wrap any other clothes or necessities too (pretty sure I wrapped a packet of singlets for ds2 last year)!

My DD was 5 months for her first christmas and she got a wooden rattle that cost a couple of pounds. I also bought her a new dress to wear on the day. She didn't know and I didn't feel bad about it. We have a massive family so she was overrun with gifts anyway.

My daughter will be 9 months and she's not getting much. I've got her a ride on car as a main present, then a few bayh toys. Will pick up clothes in bigger sizes and maybe some essentials like a nice cutlery set to bulk it up a bit x

My lo was 4 months old on her first Christmas and we spent around £50 but this was on things that we would have ended up buying anyway, it was more for photos.

This year, I will have a 6/7 week old and we are just putting money into a savings account for him and not bothering even buying anything.

My dd2 (3mos) had 6 gifts
Dd3 (2mos) had 5 gifts.

They were things that would have been bought anyway, and I asked others to get them clothes :)

Not mean, it would be silly to spend so much on such a tiny baby who wont have a clue!

DD was 6 months last year. She got a jumper of, we were going to get her one any way so figured we would wrap it up for her. More for her brothers sake than hers. We also picked up a few practical bits, soppy cup, cutlery, clothes etc. All stuff we would have got anyway and just wrapped it up. She really didn't care. Was more jnterested in the paper. She got lots from family.

At my oldest first Christmas he was 4ish months old.. He got clothes from us and a mobile for his bed, and one toy, but really at that age you don't really have to go all out. It's not like they really unwrap things at that age either :winkwink:

My DD1 was just two weeks old on her first Christmas, and I don't remember her having any presents. At least, none off us! I got some "First Christmas" ornaments and stuff. Actually, I'm fibbing, she did have one present! A First Christmas teddy bear!
This year DD2 will be seven months. She's having a VTech Smart Cub, a door sign to match her sister's, and a set of pyjamas (from big sister), but all the presents are for DD1's benefit really; wouldn't want her to think Father Christmas forgot her sister!

I would say its fine just to wrap some clothes etc.. So you have those memories with photos etc.

However if I then saw something I thought she may be interested in by 6-9months I would prob get that (if it was a good deal of course:winkwink:) That way its not like your losing or saving money as would be buying it in a few months anyway :thumbup:

I would just buy practical things like a highchair, maybe a jumperoo or similar or walker, things that they can grow into.

My DS2 will be 8 months. I'm getting him a Smart Trike and a few baby toys but it's more for the benefit of his big brother who will be 6 and might question why he isn't getting toys like him. If he was my first it would mostly be clothes in his parcels x

DS2 was three months old on his first Christmas. I got him some string lanterns to put in his room near his change table to give him something to look at. I also bought him some wall prints to match his nursery theme and a couple of toys to use when he was a bit older

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->