Would you have a full blood count at 37+?

Bournefree

Reaction score
My MW would like to do a full blood count next week. I initally said ok right, but not really in consent to having it done, just in an aknowledgement of what was being said.

I really don't know what benefit it will be to me to have this information?
I mean if I'm anemic, I should know that that by now, and IF I am, what and how will that be put up as a barrier to my home birth - because unless I'm under 8.5 I'm still going ahead with it.. no matter. Below that I STILL might go head with it..? ;-) Stress in labour is only going to make me more likey to have PPH.

However my MW is very experienced and I have a great respect, so I will be asking why it is indicated, or desired to have one - I do hope that there are not some other niggling doubts that is part and parcel of the reasons why it is felt needed to be investigated further. After all I really do appriciate the experience that this MW has to offer me.
For example of doubts: My HR during my last ante-natal appointment was in the range of 97-98bpm.. (pretty high.. but blood pressure is normal, even on the low side of normal) I consider myself fit-ish.. so, I don't know why I was so excited! As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing to worry about, and I don't want any extra worry - but is is still niggling at me... and it is making me question, what was faith in my MW.

Would you have the bloods done?
XxX

I think I might be tempted to. Even though I'd have exactly the same stance as you, if my HB was lower at least it would make me make an effort to eat better!! But that's the only reason why! :lol:

Thanks sweets!

I’m just having a little wobble about my HR (I had been sitting as still as you can with an 18month old for 20 mins - but nothing to justify a HR over 90!)

I know I can handle the results whatever they maybe, but don't want it to open up dialogue about whether I "should" have a home birth or not - there is something to be said about keeping it all healthy.. and not looking for problems. However an affirmative result would be great! But an un-assuring result, will mean me having to "improve" (more testing) or do battle on my level of comfort and the MW's comfort.

Ignorance can be bliss, but I'm not usually one to shy away from any facts, which is why I am, as you say, tempted.

I need to get to the bottom of the motivation for the test, which isn't routine, and will do that when I see the MW next. I need convincing of the benefits. I haven't taken my own HR since, and perhaps I should to get some type of base-line.
XxX

I definitely think you should ask what info they are looking to get from the test and maybe what would be the advisories for each outcome?

At least if your iron is low you could then work to increase that, not to mention you've researched that aspect aswell. My MW did a blood test at 37+3 and my ferritin levels are still pretty low but my present level was ok apparently so she didn't try to convince me to cancel my HB, think she knew there was little point anyway lol

I wreckon your MW knows you like mine knows me, and he won't try to persuade you against your HB in a hurry. Your HR can alter a little from appointment to appointment so maybe the slightly high reading was a 1-off? my HR was a little higher than my normal range last week, I think its just tiredness at this stage of pregnancy!

When do you see your MW next? I'm seeing one tomorrow, although slightly nervous because my now supportive MW is on holiday for 2wks... don't fancy seeing a different one at this stage.

It is normal for your heart rate to be slightly elevated during pregnany. Mine was consistently in the 90's, and my Hb was still high, around 14-15. I, personally, would say no, but that's just me. I just don't see the benefits of having it done so late in the pregnancy. :shrug:

I was all for saying no too at next appointment in case my hb had dropped and they 'used' this to encourage a hospital birth! But I've got to stop being so negative and ready for battle - it's been no good for me!!! Lol. I'm going to have them done, if hb lower then it'll be a challenge for me to do what I can in the last few weeks.

No matter what the results, you're still having the birth that you want, right? (me being motivational, not sarcastic here)

Thank you ladies!

Seeing him on Wednesday

Indigo. I'll let you guys know what he says about the reasons why, tell him my concerns and what I decide to do.

He certainly knows that I'm not going to give in easy about birthing at home Freya - very little could change my mind.. not that I'm entirly pig-headed, but pretty close! (and certainly not now I have amazing fairy lights! and the pool and all the equipment sorted and ready to go), but he is away over the critical time zone of me being likey to deliver, so it concerns me that the rest of the MW team might not be so supportive.

Thanks for the info on HR in pregnancy Silver, Really really helpful! - to be honest I've been a bit of a nit, and hadn't even done any research into that to see if it was significant or not! Silly really!
Xxx

Hi

Just wanted to say that whilst pregnant I pretty much had a blood test every two weeks, including full blood count taken before and after birth - for me there were complications of raised BP/HR and swelling, but had it been normal, I still would rather of had the count done than said no and kicked myself later.

As it is I have been put on iron tablets since a test done the day after birth to boost levels - again better to be aware and well than wondering why I feel extra rough & tired!

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->